• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Now Who Thinks It's Meaningless

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not too long ago there were seome on here who couldn't understand people like myself with the continuance of our rivalry with Argiggle despite the distance in League positions between us. Some of you weren't old enough to remember but some of you should have known better. Do you understand now?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Too right. The nonsense we had to put up with on here by people who thought the 'We hate Argyle' songs were irrelevant was ridiculous.

Proud to be one of the dedicated Argyle haters, even when a lot of Grecians though 'we'd never play them again' ;).

Whiptonite

Resigned
Do you understand now?
No.

They are a football team in the same league as us. I will care about them for the 180 minutes we play against them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Are you using the resurgence of 'naughtiness' tonight as a means to justify your outdated viewpoint?????

grecIAN Harris

Are you using the resurgence of 'naughtiness' tonight as a means to justify your outdated viewpoint?????
Absolutely not. That ignorance has no place in football. The noise and intensity showed the rivalry before it got taken over the top by our own muppets and the Lyndhurst loonies.

Whiptonite

Resigned
OK, thanks.

I still don't understand the 'local rivalry' thing though. I can understand animosity towards a team that had consistently 'robbed' us, or played dirty, or had a c*nt of a manager.

Hating a team based on geography alone seems daft to me. On a professional level, we enjoy good relations with PAFC, the loan signings of Marcus Martin and Gary Sawyer for instance helped us immensely at a time when we were unable to sign quality players.

Did I enjoy tonight's result? Yes.
Would I swap it for 3 points against them in the league? Hell yeah.
Do I '8' argyle? Sorry, no. Feel free to explain again why I should. Try to avoid the words 'scum' or 'history'.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
There's nothing wrong with rivalry and a local derby. It adds spice to the calendar. I've been aware of the rivalry all my life - I'm just not confessing that bit in public! It's just there. It is. It has always been. It's not just football. It's two cities competing against each other. In ways that affect each other. Trade, quality of life, standards etc. Do those of us with morals and a cathedral want to beat them poor folk down the road without? Hell yes. And vice versa. A real derby. But that rivalry needs to come into the 21st century. Banter based not violence based. Tonight, Argyle did not do themselves proud on or off the pitch.

t.a.f.k.a.g.g.

I support Exeter City and have been brought up to know that Arg*le our are rivals. They just are.

Tonight was SWEEEEEEEEET.

If this rivalry isn't for you, then that's cool too. UTC.

LammieLammieLammie

Spice.

Watch the Sean McCarthy interview on this weeks Kellows, and he talks about City / Gaws much more eloquently than we could.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rivalry is ok,it adds to the match.The fact that we are closer to Wembley meant more though

Last edited:

tavyred

Do I '8' argyle? Sorry, no. Feel free to explain again why I should. Try to avoid the words 'scum' or 'history'.
My hatred of Argyle defines my support for City, and tbh I cannot be bothered to tell you why!!
They are the enemies of my blood..pure and c*nting simple!

UTC!!