• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Not clinical enough

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Please remember that 97% of statistics are false.

D__Lo__

Likewise, his record at Championship and League 1 level is irrelevant. League vs non-league is an arbitrary distinction. League 2 is much, much closer in standard to the conference than it is to the championship. I'd also like a guy to come in who can cut the mustard 2 levels higher, but players who can score 1 in 3 at that level are changing hands for 10 million.

Listen, I'm not saying he's up to much. I haven't seen him play. According to reports he's not great. Didn't pull up trees at Cambridge the last couple of seasons. But taking his stats, discounting everything he's done below league 2 and then treating the rest as all the same is a stupid way of deciding if he's likely to be any good at League 2 level. On stats alone, the fact he's clocked up plenty of games at championship/league 1 level and he's banged in plenty in the conference would say he might be decent for us. He probably won't be, but you can't tell that from the statistics.
You understand it was 10yrs ago you're talking about. Would Simpson score 17 in 33 in the Conference now? A resounding no is the answer.

Arguing against the stats is really weak here as the pattern of his career is consistent. We're not talking about a kid or an unknown, he's 31 and been around for over a decade. In the last ten seasons he has scored more than 5 once and that was 8 the season before last. The pattern is continuing this season with City (actually at a worst rate) Then there's the fact that none of the league teams he's been with have really fancied him. He hasn't started more than half of the league games in any league season either (two seasons in the last ten he has started 23 twice and all the rest are under 15) It's not as if he's been unavailable either due to the number of sub appearances and non-appearances made. Even if you really believe it's convenient using the last ten seasons which covers his league career, surely you realise stretching an extra season to include his Conference season won't give anymore of a balanced view. By all means look at the last 2 or 3 seasons but the picture is no better. He struggled and was deemed not good enough by the team propping up the current league table.

I don't mean to dig Simpson out, it's not his fault. He's not league quality but if we're stupid enough to not only sign him but strongly rely on him then it's no-one's fault but our own, it's not as if he doesn't try. It also doesn't help that we don't play to his strengths (I won't repeat my previous post) I just find the justifications or excuses frustratingly weak.

andrew p long

And the formation. In the summer it was said we would play 4-4-2 and did throughout pre-season.

That formation had Watkins central playing off Simpson and Holmes wide left.

Now we've gone back to 4-2-3-1 (or 4-5-1 without the ball).

(I know Credy will disagree but...) 8-10 goals from Simpson would be OK if Watkins,Wheeler,harley, taylor all got 8-10 too.

supernova

Simpson is just another Sam Parkin, you can tell by the way he lumbers about.

Really feel for Richard Logan. At least you could rely on him scoring goals occasionally.Never quite sure what he did wrong

Gabriel

I wasn't impressed with Simpson on Saturday but I also question why your lot signed him if you're not going to go more direct. Started both halves well but when the momentum ran out you didn't mix things up.

malcolms

I wasn't impressed with Simpson on Saturday but I also question why your lot signed him if you're not going to go more direct. Started both halves well but when the momentum ran out you didn't mix things up.
"Mixing things up" would entail a plan B and we only have one letter in our alphabet.... :)

D__Lo__

And the formation. In the summer it was said we would play 4-4-2 and did throughout pre-season.

That formation had Watkins central playing off Simpson and Holmes wide left.

Now we've gone back to 4-2-3-1 (or 4-5-1 without the ball).

(I know Credy will disagree but...) 8-10 goals from Simpson would be OK if Watkins,Wheeler,harley, taylor all got 8-10 too.
Harley will struggle to get 5 let alone 10. Taylor might be optimistic also as much as I like him. Fancy Watkins for 10-15 though

Exactly or at least put more balls in the box at the end of the possession.

Alistair20000

Really feel for Richard Logan. At least you could rely on him scoring goals occasionally.Never quite sure what he did wrong
Too many pies and pints ? :S I say this despite viewing him as a City Legend.