• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nostalgic City songs

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
You quite often miss the point, Pete. Firstly, statistically, how do you justify "one of the best strikers we ever had" http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/1056 ? Secondly, and more importantly, when has anyone ever suggested football fans view of players, managers and officials has any rationale to it whatsoever ? Both questions rhetorical; no need to take this thread off topic.
I'll ignore the two injections of rudeness. Let me be a bit clearer: You didnt rate John Sims? As I indicated previously, he was an excellent signing for us, so much so that Argyle, who were without question a better team than us in Sims time went ahead and signed him. They didnt regret the investment and he became a fans favorite. When we ultimately got him back for a second time, he was admittedly way past his best. Quite apart from all that; why would anybody sing a song to Port Vale fans about a City player from 30+ years ago FFS?

IndoMike

One for Alan Banks to the tune of Lilly the Pink.

We'll drink a drink a drink to Alan the king the king the king,
He's the leader of our team.
He's the greatest centre forward
That the world has ever seen.
Billy. I don't mean to be pedantic but Banks wasn't a centre forward. Dermot Curtis was our centre forward and wore the no. 9 shirt. Banksy wore no.8 and was "inside right". The song I remember was
Give us a goal
Give us a goal
Alan Banks
Alan Banks
sung to the tune of a famous Troggs' song

Tim Long

I'll ignore the two injections of rudeness. Let me be a bit clearer: You didnt rate John Sims? As I indicated previously, he was an excellent signing for us, so much so that Argyle, who were without question a better team than us in Sims time went ahead and signed him. They didnt regret the investment and he became a fans favorite. When we ultimately got him back for a second time, he was admittedly way past his best. Quite apart from all that; why would anybody sing a song to Port Vale fans about a City player from 30+ years ago FFS?
Pete, I've PMed you. Basically you've underlined my point about you missing the point. The PM contains the answer to the two crucial questions: Did I sing this song while John Sims was playing for City ? Did I sing this song to Port Vale fans or any fans plural or just to a personal friend ?
May I re-iterate part of the PM: you are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. However, you misinterpreting what is written is another matter.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe not the best but approaching one in three ain't bad. Also can't say I saw him play but maybe Pete did, and he had more to his game than merely how many times he got on the scoresheet?

As for the song, maybe it sounds better than it looks, possibly...
Sims was a tall hard working striker and reasonable player.....but one of the best mmmmm Alan Banks, Fred Binney, Darren Rowbotham, Alan Beer, Tony Kellow, even the oft maligned Steve Flack and Jamie Cureton.....all ahead of him in the pecking order.

iscalad

Sims was a tall hard working striker and reasonable player.....but one of the best mmmmm Alan Banks, Fred Binney, Darren Rowbotham, Alan Beer, Tony Kellow, even the oft maligned Steve Flack and Jamie Cureton.....all ahead of him in the pecking order.
Yep, pretty much my thoughts. Probably add Keith Bowker to the list.

PeteUSA

Sexton, I agree that Sims was largely a spent force when he returned to us for a second stint, but the first time around, how you can lump him in with the likes of Flack I'll never know. Argyle did sign him for a reason, and he became a favorite at HP. As a matter of fact he scored the only goal against us when we played Argyle away. He made 36 appearances for us between 78/79 with a return of 12 goals. That might be a bit low but it was at a time when Fred Binney was scoring em' all.

Tim Long

He made 36 appearances for us between 78/79 with a return of 12 goals. That might be a bit low but it was at a time when Fred Binney was scoring em' all.
Didn't realise that Binney was that good he was still scoring for City five years after he left. Sims and Ian Pearson were signed to replace Tony Kellow when he went to Blackpool, replacing a legend may be a reason why Sims isn't highly rated, as well as the fact that both periods at City were less than 12 months and the second was the tail end of 83-84 relegation season. Pearson proved to be a useful midfielder but not a prolific goalscorer.
What has any of this got to do with the title of the thread ?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Billy. I don't mean to be pedantic but Banks wasn't a centre forward. Dermot Curtis was our centre forward and wore the no. 9 shirt. Banksy wore no.8 and was "inside right". The song I remember was
Give us a goal
Give us a goal
Alan Banks
Alan Banks
sung to the tune of a famous Troggs' song
Could have been " He's the greatest inside forward. ......"

Well-known Exeweb poster
does anyone recall the tune

'with a knock kneed chicken and a bow legged hen'

l

Avening Posse

Drink up Ye cider was popular back in the day, not heard that for ages :)