• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nostalgic City songs

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
On a serious note tho the sole reason that certain songs such as Roman walls amd the new song from saturday are sung is purely for the fact they can be sung for a long time to build a atmosphere for a full 90 mins. Where as "city till i die" and "we are Exeter" normally die out after 2 or 3 times of being sung.
I get where you're coming from, but the danger of singing songs that can be sung non-stop for 15-20 mins is that the noise becomes a mumble and monotonous, whereas breaking it up every now and then with some of the classics would create a decent balance - you guys do a great job, but the key IMO is getting the balance right between the classics and the newer stuff.

It seems to be every other game that a new chant is aired, I know it's important to be fresh but again it's about finding the balance. The issue with continually belting out new chants is that it'll only be the core group joining in first off, whereas with the classics you'll get a lot more voices joining in, ergo a louder atmosphere at SJP.

I'm not having a dig at the RL at all, just stating my personal observations. Kudos to you all for doing your bit to try and improve the atmosphere, and keep up the good work [G]

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought she was 'sweet' rather than 'miss'.
Well, I never met her, so bow to your superior knowledge. :)

CraigECFC

To be fair on Saturday it was a new song which is why it was kept going for a bit longer than normal. It was also kept going as at any points where it got quiet you could feel the nervousness/tension creep into the crowd (understandably) & we just wanted to keep going to push the team over the line. Now we've introduced the new song and got that home win it should be easier to get back to normal�� All in all thought the atmosphere was very good on Saturday & was helped by an exciting match.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always thought we should sing Exodus by Bob Marley

Exeter (bass line)
We hate Plymouth Argyle (bass line)
This would be absolutely class.

Tim Long

At the Port Vale game, I sang to a Welsh based fan, to the tune of Men Of Harlech:

Johnny Sims is crap at scoring
When he shoots, it's quite appalling
Can't you hear the Cowshed roaring
Simmo, you're a ******
Simmo, you're a ******
Simmo, you're a wa- a -a -a - anker

She asked who Jon Sims was. I'd forgotten she was born in the mid-70s.

Anyhow, on a different matter, is there anyone brave enough out there to sing some of these songs for The Grecian Archive ? Assuming the academics are interested in old football songs.

Last edited:

WXF

'Flack will keep us up again', to the tune of Joy Division's 'Love will tear us apart'. Endless relegation dog fights. Surprisingly happy days.

PeteUSA

At the Port Vale game, I sang to a Welsh based fan, to the tune of Men Of Harlech:

Johnny Sims is crap at scoring
When he shoots, it's quite appalling
Can't you hear the Cowshed roaring
Simmo, you're a ******
Simmo, you're a ******
Simmo, you're a wa- a -a -a - anker

She asked who Jon Sims was. I'd forgotten she was born in the mid-70s.
Tim, you really sang that song about one of the best strikers we ever had? I think I'm missing the point!?

Tim Long

Tim, you really sang that song about one of the best strikers we ever had? I think I'm missing the point!?
You quite often miss the point, Pete. Firstly, statistically, how do you justify "one of the best strikers we ever had" http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/1056 ? Secondly, and more importantly, when has anyone ever suggested football fans view of players, managers and officials has any rationale to it whatsoever ? Both questions rhetorical; no need to take this thread off topic.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Maybe not the best but approaching one in three ain't bad. Also can't say I saw him play but maybe Pete did, and he had more to his game than merely how many times he got on the scoresheet?

As for the song, maybe it sounds better than it looks, possibly...

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
One for Alan Banks to the tune of Lilly the Pink.

We'll drink a drink a drink to Alan the king the king the king,
He's the leader of our team.
He's the greatest centre forward
That the world has ever seen.

Last edited: