• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton Town v Exeter City - Matchday Thread

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Special mention for the Northampton meet and greet team yesterday, I was on the GT coach as soon as we had parked up at Sixfields someone got on the coach to welcome us to the club and to give us a run down on catering facilities, pubs etc...didn’t City win some special praise or an award for this sort of thing a few months ago thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

PeteUSA

Messrs Red nose and Rosencrantz: Enclosed below are the youtube highlights of yesterdays game.

About the Sweeney penalty incident: There is little or no doubt that, at the very least, if that penalty award wasnt marginally inside the box (Okay, not a yard) it was certainly on the line; Or to put it another way the foul wasnt OUTSIDE of the area. In my day, the line was part of the penalty area; Unless thats changed, thats a definite penalty.

Legohead

Banned
The black kit looks good though. That's a positive. :)

STURTZ

When their keeper shanked it and Collins touched the ball forward Ajose was well onside. Missed an easy opportunity there.
Another one when Bowman should have got on the end of Dickenson's cross.

Legohead

Banned
Bowman failed to get on the end of 2 crosses. One first half and the one second half where he completely missed the ball when trying to guide it towards goal.

Red Devon

Just seen the MT interview total honesty again bang on with his Jayden Richardson comments the only attacking player to make an impact for us all afternoon.

grecIAN Harris

Messrs Red nose and Rosencrantz: Enclosed below are the youtube highlights of yesterdays game.

About the Sweeney penalty incident: There is little or no doubt that, at the very least, if that penalty award wasnt marginally inside the box (Okay, not a yard) it was certainly on the line; Or to put it another way the foul wasnt OUTSIDE of the area. In my day, the line was part of the penalty area; Unless thats changed, thats a definite penalty.

Pete, sorry but you're wrong. The initial contact is outside the box. If you pause the video and then manually rock and roll it until you get to the point of impact (1.37) Sweeney catches his shin then you will see that the ball hasn't even reached the line leave alone the player. If you then roll it on a another fraction, you can then see that the Northampton players right foot has been kicked out of it's natural stride pattern and only the ball has reached the edge of the box not the player. It was not a foul and should have been a free kick but was not a penalty.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doesn't matter where the '1st contact' is made. If there's a foul in the box, it's a pen. The ref plays advantage for the man being fouled, not vice versa.

Grecian_Matt

Looks to me like Sweeney tries to trip him outside the area, then takes another swipe which catches clearly in the area - Stupid whichever he was trying..

Missed the game on iFollow yesterday, but Bowman not getting on the end of the chance to make it 1-1 looked a bad miss.

I put this game down as a defeat, so as far as I am concerned this weekend we theoretically gained two points, as Plymouth didn't beat Cambridge.

IndoMike

I'm not sure if it was a pen or not. But their bloke had outsmarted Sweeners and was on his way into the box. Can't blame the ref - he doesn't have freeze fame- but I would have given it, tbh.
I'm sorry to have to keep going on about Bowman. He did everything right by anticipating the perfect cross and then getting ahead of his marker, but then totally failed to connect.
We just don't create enough chances to be able to spurn chances like this. Nearly all roads lead to Bowman but often it's a dead end.
The coaches need to give him a lot of shooting practice ; seems to me that his connection with the ball (timing) is off.
Because our games are usually tight we just can't afford these misses : it will be the difference between the autos and the dreaded playoffs.
Finally : what's up with Lee Martin? I'm surprised he hasn't come on in recent games for the last half-hour or so : he certainly could give a energy boost to the team. Is he still recovering from the sickness that he had?