• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton Town v Exeter City - Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's logical. If he isn't in front of the defender then he has no need to foul him. I'd like to see that put in front of VAR and see what they come up with. If you can be offside by the length of your big toe then I'm damn sure you can be fouled by more than a balls width outside the box and not have a penalty given against you. If he stays on his feet and has control of the ball I'd agree with you but it's pretty obvious that neither is the case so the foul, not the secondary swipe, is outside the box.
It might be obvious to you but it isn't to me and it seems I'm not alone. Bite the bullet, Harris.
You said "most fouls where there is contact the recipient is in front of the fouler", I e. the defender is tackling from behind. I doubt that. A lot of fouls are tackles coming in from the side or clashes where one tackler has his studs up, elbowing etc

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can we move on, guys. The ref gave a penalty, no point in dissecting it further.

Thank the Lord we don't have VAR in L2.

Grecian_Matt

Your glass is half full : we also lost 3 points to Crewe and Swindon. But, nevermind, with several home games coming up we have a chance to overtake them again.
TBH, Swindon have won the league.
It is then 2 from 3, with Plymouth at present looking the most likely to lose out - Not beating Cambridge at home was def 2 points lost.
Crewe were also going to win yesterday, so as far as predictions keep coming right, we should finish in the top 3 - But I am aware there will be some shocks along the way.

Grecian_Matt

Thank the Lord we don't have VAR in L2.
Amen

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ref doesn't have to make any split second decisions. He let's it play out and then blows up. If someone's tugging your shirt from 10 metres out and continues to do so until you run into the box... You get a pen. If he let's go 1 metre outside after holding it for 9 metres, you get a free kick 1 metre outside. If he holds it for 2 metres and you smash it in the back of the net from 8 metres out, you get a goal.

IndoMike

The ref doesn't have to make any split second decisions. He let's it play out and then blows up. If someone's tugging your shirt from 10 metres out and continues to do so until you run into the box... You get a pen. If he let's go 1 metre outside after holding it for 9 metres, you get a free kick 1 metre outside. If he holds it for 2 metres and you smash it in the back of the net from 8 metres out, you get a goal.
Sounds right to me. The striker should get any advantage, not the defender who is fouling.

PeteUSA

Absolutely Spot On!

Colesman Ballz

The black kit looks good though. That's a positive. :)
Couldn't disagree more strongly, that kit should be burnt. It doesn't matter a damn how good it looks. That's certainly not the first time this season we have lost when using it. I would certainly like to see a full break down of our results when wearing it. Does no one remember the lesson of Man Utd's infamous grey kit ? After losing at Southampton in a night game, the players complained about having difficulty of picking each other out. That was enough for Ferguson, who promptly ditched using it. We are a passing team, so why give away the disadvantage of being able to pick out your colleagues by seeing them in peripheral vision ? Red and white or luminous yellow for me every game please !

Legohead

Banned
I'd rather the black kit than that awful illuminous yellow monstrosity. What kit a team is wearing bears no reflection on performance or result. Unless you happen to be Alex Ferguson of course.

tonykellowfan

It was a definite pen no two ways about it.