• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nine players short?

Bittners a Legend

I'd say we need a left back, a centre back, 1-2 wide midfield players and probably a forward. As well as that we possibly need cover at full back (Tullys cover is Sercombe, and I'd assume Edwards is cover at LB - or in fact even possibly first choice LB at the moment!)

finetime

If JY is being serious then we have a problem, in my opinion we need 3 quality players at least. A defender who can play wide and support the front players, a midfield player who can pass and a front player who can score 15 goals. You could also argue legitimately that we need additional cover at the back and a wide player up front. All five should, if possible have pace, I think most people would agree we don't currently have this option.
I agree with the areas you suggest we are short in.

I'm expecting 3 permanent signings and hopefully 2 season long loans from premiership clubs.

Looking at the other teams and squads in L1 I'm feeling rather nervous. It's going to be a massive battle to stay up next season.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think in terms of what Tisdale and co are thinking we are definitely after a striker, judging from the fact we are still interested in Fleetwood and the approaches we made to Strevens. Probably also wanting a centre back, judging from interest in Troy coming back.

As for the rest, we will have to see. We seem to have triallists in all positions, so I guess as well as specific positions anyone who fits the bill could be brought in.

robchave

Don't forget that, in public pronouncements, the club don't want to sound to keen to sign new players - it will put the price/signing on fee/wages up. They will play it cool and only sign hungry players, at the right time and price.

Max Payne 2

After July 01 we'll see much quicker movement on the transfer front. It's been this way with PT previously so see no reason that'll change now. Patience.

Last edited:

Saint James

If JY is being serious then we have a problem, in my opinion we need 3 quality players at least. A defender who can play wide and support the front players, a midfield player who can pass and a front player who can score 15 goals. You could also argue legitimately that we need additional cover at the back and a wide player up front. All five should, if possible have pace, I think most people would agree we don't currently have this option.
Malcs, also in total agreement with this expecially regards pace. Last season we were compensated for Rob and Matt's lack of pace at the back by having Deano and notably Troy to cover ground. This is an area (defensively) that we are likely to struggle in unless we get a couple of quick replacements. My choice would be Blackett from Peterborough and Troy.

Last edited:
It might be worth learning from our promotion season in 2004. Now I don't expect any of you to agree but I would say our team that got promoted 5 years ago was stronger than yours that has just been promoted. It achieved more points in a far more competitive league.yet we were immediately relegated for two reasons:
1) Our best player at the time (David Graham) was sold and not replaced - although Adebayo Akinfenwa came good in the end but just too late.
2) The squad was not strengthened.

When it was apparant that the - in essence - weaker squad was not good enough, the club lacked the ambition, resources, personnel to get the players necessary, yet in the end we only went down on goal difference.

It's a source of frustration even now, that had we been even a modicum more ambitious we would have stayed up as the line between relegation and survival was so fine. We were relegated with one of the highest ever points totals.

In the same way we had a young coach who at the time was highly regarded in Leory. Saying that, i do think Tisdale is a more astute manager than Rosenior and you have a board with far more desire and drive than Mike Bateson ever did, so in that respect you are better off than we were. However, you have lost two very key players in Moxey and Gill, which could be seen as more of a loss than us losing Graham (especially when you consider how his career has gone since he left us).

It will be hard for you to bridge that gap because you now have a weaker team than the one that went up from a fairly uncompetitive League 2 ( I certainly think all the points deductions watered down the quality of League 2 last year) to play in what is possibly the hardest ever League 1.

Certainly avoiding relegation would be a very good result for you and in the strangest of ways which goes against my better instincts a part of me wishes you luck.

Last edited:

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be honest I don't think we are as much short of players as quality / pace, let's face it we played the whole of last season without real cover at right back and the cover we did have at CB and LB was deemed not up to it by the Gaffer, so who am I to differ.

Yemsy says don't expect too many and I guess three or four isn't that many, I'm not in the Tis for God club but one thing I do admire is his willingness to give the lads that got us there a shot.

The thing I meant to say was, that there was this feeling that the players who got us promoted should be given the chance to start the season, even though the squad had been weakened.

By the time it was realised that this was not going to work it was too late. We had lost so much ground at the start of the season that it was a miracle that in the end we on;y missed out on goal difference on staying up.

Teams have to be built a little bit on when they go up. League 1 is so incredibly challenging this year but then your manager has been proven right on every turn so far so I am sure he knows all this.

[email protected]

Four players needed , me thinks to strengthen the squad, LB, Striker Mid and RB, Troy i think will come back on Loan, Fleetwood i reckon will want too much as a salary and won't come back.. We'll see. Would love to know who they are looking at.

JOE