• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree totally from what I have seen of him he definitely has a striker’s instinct. There were at leat half a dozen times last season where he had found space, was completely unmarked in the penalty area but ignored by his team mates one of the worst offenders being Bowman.
Colchester at home back in January two incredibly selfish bits of play from Bowman both from practically identical moves in the opening 10 minutes....with Ajose in position to tuck the ball home Bowman held on to it for too long and the chances had gone.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Until about the last 10 years, I'd say. It used to be mainly an American business euphemism. Like "Human Resources" for employees, or "Compensation" when you mean pay. A friend was "Group Head of Reward" for a big bank; she was in charge of executive pay structures and bonuses.

All weasel words to hide the fact that it's about money and nothing but money. Football is unfortunately not immune to this.

Pobbop

If he's earning as much as he is then I doubt many other clubs will prepared to take him on at that salary with his recent record. So either he plays and we get the best out of him, he sit in the reserves taking a big salary which we can't afford or some other clubs signs him and we subsidise his salary. I fear it will be the second option at least while he has more than a year on his contract. I also fear the same will happen with Sweeney and we'll be wasting money we can't afford to.
I maybe proven wrong, but I really don't see the second option being remotely a possibility, we are entering Covid World, where players will be cheaper to pick up, Ajose on big wages hasn't exactly made himself more valuable last season, I mean we'd almost have to be picking up 50% of his wages to make it viable.

In the end Matt is going to have to play him, try to get some goals out of him, then either keep him because he's doing well, or get rid on better terms. He can score goals at this level, Matt is going to have to suck it up, and get the best out of him, it's his job. Maybe this training with the reserves/kids is just to give him a kick up the backside, coz it doesn't help him seem more desirable to someone to sign, hopefully it'll work, Coz we can't really afford any other options.

STURTZ

Threre's a good player in there somewhere, at least according to Swindon fans, I haven't seen it myself.

fred binneys head

Threre's a good player in there somewhere, at least according to Swindon fans, I haven't seen it myself.
You're right that we haven't seen it yet, but there's definitely a good player in there. You don't get a 1 in 3 goal ratio in League 1 over 300 appearances without being a decent player. The only issue for me is whether his recent injuries mean his good form is staying in the past, or whether he can find it again. On top form and fitness he should easily be getting 20+ in League 2.

I'm not writing him off yet. I think he and Bowman can produce the goods this season. Bring it on.

Rosencrantz

You're right that we haven't seen it yet, but there's definitely a good player in there. You don't get a 1 in 3 goal ratio in League 1 over 300 appearances without being a decent player. The only issue for me is whether his recent injuries mean his good form is staying in the past, or whether he can find it again. On top form and fitness he should easily be getting 20+ in League 2.

I'm not writing him off yet. I think he and Bowman can produce the goods this season. Bring it on.
5 goals in 16 appearances suggest that he is a goalscorer for us. It's just a case of getting him on the pitch and then being strong enough as a team to accommodate him.

JCWhoosh

I have read that Caprice likes to put in early crosses. I think that is what we have been missing and Ajose will be better for it. Too often Williams would check inside. Don't forget that Sparkes was injured for a lot of the season but these are 2 attacking full backs which I hope will provide more goals.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Colchester at home back in January two incredibly selfish bits of play from Bowman both from practically identical moves in the opening 10 minutes....with Ajose in position to tuck the ball home Bowman held on to it for too long and the chances had gone.
Exactly RD two of the six I was referring to.....in each instance Ajose was totally unmarked and screaming for the ball.

Rosencrantz

Exactly RD two of the six I was referring to.....in each instance Ajose was totally unmarked and screaming for the ball.
Ajose looked better with MJ playing behind the front two. MJ is actually better at threading those little straight balls through behind the defence than Law. Whether that will be the formation used this season though...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have read that Caprice likes to put in early crosses. I think that is what we have been missing and Ajose will be better for it. Too often Williams would check inside. Don't forget that Sparkes was injured for a lot of the season but these are 2 attacking full backs which I hope will provide more goals.
Williams did exactly that about 7 minutes into the playoff final when the score was still 0-0. Picking up the ball midway in his own half running with it in the old inside right position with Law to his left. Law run across behind him creating space for himself was totally unmarked but Williams either did not see him or chose to ignore him decided to cut across towards the left hand side of the pitch eventually being crowded out and losing the ball.

Obviously we will never know what would have happened but had he passed to Law who was unmarked with a clear run in on goal there is every likelihood that the latter would have scored and it might well have been a totally different game.