Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
We've increased pic size so it should be able to upload pics to the server now by using the image button or attach files button below left

DB9

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ever done a Saturn 5 Apollo Rocket Lez? I'm thinking of getting one but want one that has all the different parts to it like the moon landing bit, The part that orbited the moon and the capsule that landed back on Earth, Not wanting to build just one that's the shell of the Rocket

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
First is what I started with , second are those horrible high back seats that should be in a Gasser , third should be the cleaned up chassis getting rid of anything not needed (exhausts petrol tank etc etc ) fourth is the Chevy SSR low bucket seats fifth is the body mod stage getting rid of quarter lights in the front doors and moving them forward suicide doors de chroming windows and various indents for surplus bits last 2 are the black etch primer ready for me to decide what colour.

Attachments

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
While waiting around for bits to set etc I found an old diecast Fordson van which I though may look better … the front wings on this may end up being the colour for the Chevy !! cherry red and a gold dust coat then a lacquer coat to seal it in !

Its a lot smaller than the Chevy so the glitter effect wont show up as much , Idle hands and all that Lez lol

Attachments

DB9

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have to admit Ramone, You and Lez have some cracking models and something I don't have at the moment, A room to do your models in, I have all the gear needed and models in boxes in the loft but not a space to build anymore

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Ever done a Saturn 5 Apollo Rocket Lez? I'm thinking of getting one but want one that has all the different parts to it like the moon landing bit, The part that orbited the moon and the capsule that landed back on Earth, Not wanting to build just one that's the shell of the Rocket
I’ve just added the eagle to my collection to build!! I did a very basic Saturn 5 rocket in my youth but it’s something I’d like to do in the future when the price of it comes down, since the 50th anniversary the price has rocketed excuse the pun

I was only saying last week to the airfix rep he needs to get the team to create a falcon 9 and heavy to build as that’s why I got into building, wasn’t military but space!!

Attachments

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
First is what I started with , second are those horrible high back seats that should be in a Gasser , third should be the cleaned up chassis getting rid of anything not needed (exhausts petrol tank etc etc ) fourth is the Chevy SSR low bucket seats fifth is the body mod stage getting rid of quarter lights in the front doors and moving them forward suicide doors de chroming windows and various indents for surplus bits last 2 are the black etch primer ready for me to decide what colour.
fair play mate.. that's coming on brilliantly

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
While waiting around for bits to set etc I found an old diecast Fordson van which I though may look better … the front wings on this may end up being the colour for the Chevy !! cherry red and a gold dust coat then a lacquer coat to seal it in !

Its a lot smaller than the Chevy so the glitter effect wont show up as much , Idle hands and all that Lez lol
loving that van bud!! thats fabulous

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Have to admit Ramone, You and Lez have some cracking models and something I don't have at the moment, A room to do your models in, I have all the gear needed and models in boxes in the loft but not a space to build anymore
Surely a dinning table with newspaper covering it with masking tape to keep it in place is all you need lol :)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone knows where I can pic up a model VW caddy or Transporter (t4 to T5) or a crafter please let me know.. I need one to dress up with works emblems on

DB9

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely a dinning table with newspaper covering it with masking tape to keep it in place is all you need lol :)
Yep sounds easy but Mrs DB9 is getting a bit fed up with me using the kitchen table and our house layout means on the ground floor we only have a kitchen, Loo and very small bedroom, Lounge and Bedroom on first floor and two bedrooms and bathroom on top floor. I'd love to use one of the spare bedrooms but we have the Grankids over and I'd be dog meat if i asked the good lady if i can convert one of those bedrooms!! :D :D :D

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Yep sounds easy but Mrs DB9 is getting a bit fed up with me using the kitchen table and our house layout means on the ground floor we only have a kitchen, Loo and very small bedroom, Lounge and Bedroom on first floor and two bedrooms and bathroom on top floor. I'd love to use one of the spare bedrooms but we have the Grankids over and I'd be dog meat if i asked the good lady if i can convert one of those bedrooms!! :D :D :D
Got a shed??

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, 6ft x 3ft full of stuff plus no garage. But we are hoping to move soon (Back to Devon with luck) and its one of my criteria to have some me space
Must confess because of the ebay business side of things we bought our house because of the out houses to store stock, a massive attic which we have since floored, plus the conservatory :) all for 150'000..

when we were looking Cullompton tiverton and Chudleigh had some pretty good sized houses that weren't all that over priced

Last edited:
Reactions: DB9

DB9

Well-known Exeweb poster
Must confess because of the ebay business side of things we bought our house because of the out houses to store stock, a massive attic which we have since floored, plus the conservatory :) all for 150'000..

when we were looking Cullompton tiverton and Chudleigh had some pretty good sized houses that weren't all that over priced
Been looking at places in and around Exeter, It's a compremise, My good lady doesn't want to go back to N Devon like i do because of distance from Kids and Grandkids so that is our area, Although i like the Tiverton area

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
So having 5 minutes today I thought I would give the Chevy bonnet a quick blow over this is a mix of candy cherry red and right afterwards to very light dust coat of the gold glitter spray had to use the dog ball throwing thing for the glitter to make it further away so as to not lay it on too heavy which worked quite well when this is cured properly it will get a colour sand then lacquered over the top as you can see a little orange peel in the second pic isn't major but still needs to be a high gloss finish.
Just gotta figure a way of colouring the glass green may have to use a Quality Street wrapper !

Attachments