• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I did buy a Toyota Celica or Supra which had a small battery motor in, Thought that would be novel and went together really well, Only thing was that you switched it on from underneath and let it go, Very fast and went well but with no control over it, It drove straight into the wall, Not my best idea !

DB9

The Spitfire starter kit, I'd never of thought of useing the tube of glue like they did, Really clever, simple idea and more control of what you put on it plus thinning the paint down with water, Again simple but very affective

Stelios

Not model building but I'm sure will be of interest to people in this thread. I was "Recommended" this video on youtube a while ago despite not viewing anything similar. I guess the algorithm has me down as a 'bloke of a certain age'. (They can sod off with the Rees-M*gg videos though).

Anyway, turns out there's a whole community of blokes doing similar with millions of views. Who knew? I actually had the same ambulance too.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Not model building but I'm sure will be of interest to people in this thread. I was "Recommended" this video on youtube a while ago despite not viewing anything similar. I guess the algorithm has me down as a 'bloke of a certain age'. (They can sod off with the Rees-M*gg videos though).

Anyway, turns out there's a whole community of blokes doing similar with millions of views. Who knew? I actually had the same ambulance too.

I've watched loads of these on Youtube, The models they use are from childhoods that us of certain ages can remember, I have noticed though that some who have restored are not the best especially too liberal use of paint but they're well worth watching

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member

I start on this a few weeks back but im trying to find a way of saving that sticker

Its still in bits :)

Stelios

I've watched loads of these on Youtube, The models they use are from childhoods that us of certain ages can remember, I have noticed though that some who have restored are not the best especially too liberal use of paint but they're well worth watching
It's funny because in the real classic car world I think there is a divide between people who want to keep everything original and those who want everything stripped back, re-upholstered the re-finished to show-room condition.

Some of the old toys look nicer "play worn", I think. Others which are 'beyond repair' like that ambulance look better restored to their former glory.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoy watching the actually rebuilding of the broken ones where the use styrene and liquid metal to fix the broken die cast

Stelios

I start on this a few weeks back but im trying to find a way of saving that sticker

Its still in bits :)
Looks like a tricky project! Is the 'glass' the windscreen?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
The Spitfire starter kit, I'd never of thought of useing the tube of glue like they did, Really clever, simple idea and more control of what you put on it plus thinning the paint down with water, Again simple but very affective
I know a cocktail stick is a firm favourite for using that glue.. I do remember back in the day pushing the cement out of the tube onto the part I wanted to join, then spending the next two weeks scraping the excess glue away :)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a tricky project! Is the 'glass' the windscreen?
Yes I put it in my sonic cleaner and it came up ok.