• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Memories WBA 6 Exeter City 3?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hehe, yep, after we drew 0-0 at home in the first leg, and the season after they tonked us at the same stage in the League Cup. I think the previous year Eamonn Dolan played for them and possibly had subsequently transferred to us by then, and also Terry Cooper was their manager and had, amongst others, his lad Mark plus Scott Hiley playing for him too.

Happy days.

Red Box

I remember the WBA game well. I had met a West Brom fan during the summer holidays in Acapulco and we agreed to meet up when the fixture list threw us together.We had just got promoted and West Brom relegated. Unbelievably Exeter's first match was this one.
I spent the weekend up in Birmingham and have stayed very good friends with him ever since. I was even best Man at his second wedding.

grecianite

Hehe, yep, after we drew 0-0 at home in the first leg, and the season after they tonked us at the same stage in the League Cup. I think the previous year Eamonn Dolan played for them and possibly had subsequently transferred to us by then, and also Terry Cooper was their manager and had, amongst others, his lad Mark plus Scott Hiley playing for him too.

Happy days.
I think Dolan got sent off against us, and served his suspension at us IIRC!

rugby red

Had just moved up to the Midlands , first game of the season, Bally in charge and if I remember correctly several new faces in the team and we were trounced. By 1993, the League Cup, and I now knew a lot of footballing people in the Midlands and because of lack of interest in the League Cup
"borrowed" a Box At Birmingham City and took the family - a great night winning 4-1.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously I wasn't there, but I remember getting a sinking feeling when Grandstand went to Final Score - no rolling score service in those days (and I didn't have Teletext), and before the videprinter came up Des Lynam (for it was he, I think!) announced some of the headlines, including "6 for (someone) and West Brom" - Aaaaaagggghhh!!!

IBA

Might have something to do with having reserve goalie Kevin Maloy in goal.
The week before the WBA game , I can remember going to Tivvy to watch City in last pre-season friendly and witnessing a bit of Kevin Miller banter aimed at his goalkeeping counterpart, Mr Malloy, to paraphrase Big Kev, " I'll be sitting at home with my feet up having a nice cup of tea and you'll be out in front of 11,000 people there crapping yourself!!!

fisherman69

Remember that one, watching from the BB and seeing it quite clear Frank Sinclair on loan from Chelsea making "contact" with the ref, Still not sure if it was deliberate but made headline news next day, Think he got 11 match ban??
Rememebr seeing that game and saying to my mate how much classier Frank Sinclair was before finding out he was a loanee from chelsea.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
We were well beaten that day and it was even worse on a boiling hot day at Shrewsbury. A few fans were ****** off at that stage and getting on the players backs. Dazza scored and let the away end know what he thought of the criticism. Desperate start to the season, but we survived.

M Earl

First game of the season at the Hawthorns, ground being rebuilt and they gave us 1,000 seats and 1,300 plus turned up! Did I get the score correct?
You did, we got stuck on the motorway and got in half an hour late. The hour of the match I saw was a 3-3 draw - it was a shame we were already 3-0 down when I got there. Cracking match.

bigtrees

On the way to the Hawthorns our coach was stuck in summer traffic, so we were running late. Stopped at Michael Wood services for toilet stop only, but one guy had gone missing (playing the fruities, no doubt), so we carried on to WBA without him. Watched a crazy game in cramped conditions, after the game boarded the coach, about to depart when up comes the steps the guy we left behind in Gloucestershire!! Instead of cutting his losses and going home he had hitched up to Birmingham to catch the bus home!! Crazy day all round.

Bally did well to put a team together after Cooper left us with a sh*t squad after he had sold all the assests for his 15% sell on clause.