• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mcallister no one striker.

thermopylai

My point is that whilst Lammie might be happy to see us at 0-0 with 70 minutes gone because he is confident we beat anybody from that stage whereas I'd sooner see us two or three up by then and really looking to go for the jugular but this ain't going to happen when Tis continually plays a striker who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and leaves a bloke who is scoring on a regular basis and carries a threat every minute he is on the pitch. (takes deep breath)
I think Tis believes that Macca is most effective when coming on as an impact player. Yes, we all would love us to be 3 up after 70 mins, but Tis seems to think that starting with Macca won't get us that.

Part of the tactic seems to rely on the fact that League 2 defenders often aren't versatile enough to adapt to a very different attack when they're knackered from 70 mins of chasing Stanno. Now of course - as you imply - this tactic carries a risk that we'll leave it too late; but then tactics always carry an element of risk. On Saturday it worked - and I hope (and have faith!) that Tis is fully aware of the risk and knows when to try something different.

Bashams experience and good touches are not needed with Russell and Stewart running the midfield.
Stewart was useless and basham was quality especially in behind mac and logie: Macca is quality.
Oh and bring Bertie back into the team.

hants35

I think Tis believes that Macca is most effective when coming on as an impact player. Yes, we all would love us to be 3 up after 70 mins, but Tis seems to think that starting with Macca won't get us that.

Part of the tactic seems to rely on the fact that League 2 defenders often aren't versatile enough to adapt to a very different attack when they're knackered from 70 mins of chasing Stanno. Now of course - as you imply - this tactic carries a risk that we'll leave it too late; but then tactics always carry an element of risk. On Saturday it worked - and I hope (and have faith!) that Tis is fully aware of the risk and knows when to try something different.
You Think ?
Have you ever played football.
Have you inside info ,tis believes that craig is more effective
sitting on his ar.. for 70 mins then comming
on to save the day.

cant keep doing that.
craig then cant show his real worth.

exesaddler

You Think ?
on to save the day.

cant keep doing that.
Chill Hants mate.

He says 'he seems to think'...implying no inside info and what the hell does having played football have to do with it.

Just someones considered opinion. One which I currently..(opinion may change), agree with...and just before you ask, yes I have played football and I do have a little bit of inside info!...;)

benjishep

You Think ?
on to save the day.

cant keep doing that.
Calm down mate; he doesn't have to have played football in the premiership to offer a valid and insightful opinion on how he sees things at the park!!!
Just to add to the point of the thread i think that Tis has started Mac a few times and he hasn't really lit the world on fire. However. i will concede that it maybe hasn't been enough to come to the conclusion that he is only a super-sub and in all honesty i don't think that Tis only views him in this way which he alluded to in his post match interview.
It seems though that Tis prefers to play Stanno has although not fast he is quick off the mark and does offer a threat in behind defences which in turn forces teams to drop off a bit deeper giving us space to play our passing game. If stanno wasn't playing teams could push higher up the picth and work on going high pressure aginst us which we have seen hinders our style of play...Chesterfield springs to mind at home. It may make it slightly tougher to get in behind them especially out wide but i think Tis cares more about us keeping possession hence why he isn't too worried about having natural wingers and more so technically efficent midfielders.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
My point is that whilst Lammie might be happy to see us at 0-0 with 70 minutes gone because he is confident we beat anybody from that stage whereas I'd sooner see us two or three up by then
But I think Tis' (and therefore Lammie's) reasoning, is that if the defence hadn't been softened up by Stans' running about, perhaps McAllister wouldn't be as effective? Perhaps, when defenders are fresh and strong, he wouldn't get a look in.

As Lammie says, Tis sees it as a 14 man game and he puts equal thought into his substitutes as he does his starters. Besides, I'm sure Tis is hoping we're two or three up by then as well, and isn't just playing for a 0-0 so he can play his trump card.

spodman

a striker who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo
My favourite football analogy! :D

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As Lammie says, Tis sees it as a 14 man game and he puts equal thought into his substitutes as he does his starters. Besides, I'm sure Tis is hoping we're two or three up by then as well, and isn't just playing for a 0-0 so he can play his trump card.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I would love to see Mac start every match - I think he is the best striker we've got by a country mile. But I can see the impact he makes - he is someone who seems to adjust immediately to the pace of the game, better than any of our other strikers (although Logan is pretty good at it too). You can put him on safe in the knowledge that he WILL make a difference.

wonderelite

Stansfield tries hard and gives 110% every game,yes his finishing is a little to be desired but his hard work makes up for it.
I personally think that Logan and Macallister are good against tired defenders, Logan just needs a goal.
but yes "In Tis We Trust" ;)

Last edited:

wonderelite

Stewart was useless and basham was quality especially in behind mac and logie: Macca is quality.
Oh and bring Bertie back into the team.
Bertie!
Are you having a bubble, you cant tell me you think Bertie is better than Gilly or Manny?