• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Maxted or Ward

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can we have the Ward before his injury last season?
unfortunately if we did, we wouldn't have him for long because he was so good then that he would be snapped up this summer by a club higher up the pyramid.

Rosencrantz

unfortunately if we did, we wouldn't have him for long because he was so good then that he would be snapped up this summer by a club higher up the pyramid.
That's how it works and what we aspire to for our players though. That's how we are trying to move forward as a club. That's a good part of why Lewis signed for us.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we had Gordon Banks in his prime between our sticks I wonder how he'd fare behind our defence. Would a quality keeper be our saviour or would he just be exposed and have his faults laid bare ? If we'd have had Ward playing last night would the outcome have been any different ?

Just throwing it out there.....

Flackmeister

Jokull is head and shoulders above both of them but that ship has probably already sailed unless we can get up this season.
Thought he did well for us but had a mistake in him. Probably should have been sent off early on last night, if the lino had made the right call when he hauled Bowman back.

Flackmeister

Depends if the OP permitted that or whether it was "we have these two so choose one of them and no other options available"
Was just considering the two we have for now. Personally, I know Ward had a dip in form following his injury but I think he has the potential to be the better keeper and I would give him another run now.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought he did well for us but had a mistake in him. Probably should have been sent off early on last night, if the lino had made the right call when he hauled Bowman back.
He also carried the ball way outside his area before releasing it to kick a couple of times. All keepers do this, though these were particularly obvious. However officials never sanction it - should be a free kick and is a cautionable offence (deliberate handling). Outside his area, the goalkeeper is subject to the same rules as other players.

Rosencrantz

He also carried the ball way outside his area before releasing it to kick a couple of times. All keepers do this, though these were particularly obvious. However officials never sanction it - should be a free kick and is a cautionable offence (deliberate handling). Outside his area, the goalkeeper is subject to the same rules as other players.
He did this when he was here to be fair.

Colesman Ballz

Used to be a red didn’t it ? I have vague recollections of losing our keeper (Bittner ?) , against Hereford home and away in festive fixtures one season ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Used to be a red didn’t it ? I have vague recollections of losing our keeper (Bittner ?) , against Hereford home and away in festive fixtures one season ?
Isn't a red any more, the laws have changed a lot in recent years.

And in a JPT game at Coventry (memorable as the game when Ollie scored his first goal) their keeper's momentum carried him way outside the area with the ball in his hands. Ref gave a direct free kick but no card IIRC.

grecIAN Harris

I'm sure Bitts got sent off for catching the ball outside of the box. Handling the ball outside of the box whilst clearing from your hands has never been a red card offence that I can recall.