• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not saying MJ is at this level but he must dream about the fact that Jamie Vardy to Leicester City from Conference to Championship at the age of 25
Vardy had the dream combo of work rate, express pace, movement and great finishing ability.

Very few have those combined.

rooecfc

Vardy had the dream combo of work rate, express pace, movement and great finishing ability.

Very few have those combined.
mj is only lacking the pace out of that list!

Ash

That's true, but sadly pace is also the only thing out of that list that can't be coached or improved upon.

rooecfc

That's true, but sadly pace is also the only thing out of that list that can't be coached or improved upon.
yes of course. Mj also has the passing and close control and certainly has all the attributes to be a top player apart from the pace

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe it has been reported that Jay is the fastest sprinter in the City squad.

Vardy however is a one-off. Not only is he fast over 20-30 yards his instinct and timing of when to start moving is exceptional.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe it has been reported that Jay is the fastest sprinter in the City squad.
Is this a joke ??

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this a joke ??
No, IIRC one of the players said this in one of those Q&A sessions on the club website. Anyone recall the circumstances?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, IIRC one of the players said this in one of those Q&A sessions on the club website. Anyone recall the circumstances?
There is no way Jay is the fastest sprinter when we have the likes of Key, Caprice, Williams and Randall, I also reckon Bowman and Jake Taylor are quicker than Jay.

Jay is not fast.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember a couple a seasons ago the fastest player in the Man Utd team was Smalling which surprised me when the likes of Rashford and Martial were in the team. I'm not sure over what distance they measure it though as in football its about being quick off the mark over 10-20 yards rather than a good 100m sprinter. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay was one of the quickest over a short distance.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember a couple a seasons ago the fastest player in the Man Utd team was Smalling which surprised me when the likes of Rashford and Martial were in the team. I'm not sure over what distance they measure it though as in football its about being quick off the mark over 10-20 yards rather than a good 100m sprinter. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay was one of the quickest over a short distance.
When asked a couple of years ago who was the quickest player at Everton, Dominic Calvert-Lewin said with a remarkably straight face Phil Jagielka. The interviewer had a bit of a giggle but Dom insisted that he was right.