• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mansfield Town v Exeter City matchday thread

Matt Phillips

Not sure why a couple of posters are blaming Lloyd James for their goal. Unfortunately, it was Kane Wilson’s fault, and you could see that in his immediate reaction. Wilson will come away from the game feeling terrible, but despite the error and red, I thought he was probably the best player on he pitch in the second half. He carried the ball very well, can beat a man, and defended superbly when he had too. He deserved the red though and will learn a lot from today, but I’m sure will be an important player for us over the season.

The introductions of Holmes and Mcalinden changed the game. Teams really see to struggle with width at our level and Holmes, with Wilson overlapping, was a marked improvement from Taylor. I’d quite like to see us go 4-3-3 with Holmes and Edwards on the wing, Stockley through the middle, and then change it towards the end with Reid and McAlinden, who seems more of an impact payer to me, at his best running at tiring defenders.

On a side point, if I was Olejnik I’d be fuming to not be starting for them. Logan had one save to make all game, and just patted it back into the goalmouth. A cardinal sin for a Sunday league keeper, let alone someone with higher league pedigree.

Legohead

Banned
Also someone needs to tell the PA bloke at MTFC a line from Alan Partridge, "sorry but that was just a noise!".

Couldn't hear a bloody thing, sounded like a load of daleks. They destroyed a Stone Roses classic at H/T which i'm still getting over.

AndrewP

Kind of have to agree with a lot of what EVANS says in the interview, they were the better team, when they were 1-0 up they were supreme - at time wasting/kicking the ball away etc etc...As for all the paranoia/ nonesense about Exeter press/Exeter not liking him........ Well, indeed - you foster that reaction in people Mr EVANS - you (in my opinion) horrible man!!. ;-)

Last edited:

Well-known Exeweb poster
great post match interveiw , most animated i've EVER seen tis

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/ifollow/

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
The curse of 'man flu'. About the 2 minute mark of the interview ...

"Lee hasn't been fit. He's had two or three, four weeks now of interrupted training. He's just had a wee cough"

Last edited:

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great work by the interviewer: "I guess there's only one word for that performance: battling qualities".

Legohead

Banned
I thought Wilson did well today too despite the red card. A confident performance in difficult circumstances.

dontpassback

Watching that interview,perhaps ''tis is realising that being the proper chap team sometimes doesn't always pay off,and I am glad that he does get on to the fourth officiial sometimes.i don't want him to turn into ainsworth etc,but sometimes we get the p@@@ taken out of us by the opposition and weak officials !

Can't remember the last time we had a player sent off!
Jake at Notts County on a Tuesday night ?

I thought Wilson did well today too despite the red card. A confident performance in difficult circumstances.
Personally I think he struggled at times - big step up to playing Senior football from youth/u23 level. Was to blame for the goal and not ideal being sent off on your debut!
He’ll learn from the experience and probably a late call up as Sweeney was unwell - apparently quite a few of the team were suffering from food poisoning....maybe Evans had a word with the hotel they stayed in...........