• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lloyd James joins Forest Green

Boyo

Because unless the player hands in a written transfer request only then does he forgo any contractual rights he has. If a Manager wants to ease a player out that he doesn't want he will help him find a new club otherwise he will be stuck on the payroll as 'dead money. The likelihood is the player and the club will have come to an agreement on the remainder of his contract hence the 'undisclosed fee' I suspect.
No chance would we have paid up his contract. In agreeing to join FGR he is effectively terminating his contract with us. In order to agree to releasing the player, we sought compensation from FGR.

Dubai Grecian

- newly arrived on Exeweb. Check

- agitates like hell for removal of manager. Check

- praises new manager's every move before a ball is kicked. Check

You are Matt Taylor's mum and I claim my 50 quid!
Maybe its Tisdale?

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
No chance would we have paid up his contract. In agreeing to join FGR he is effectively terminating his contract with us. In order to agree to releasing the player, we sought compensation from FGR.
With the security of another years employment rather than be unemployed in 12 months time

iscalad

Because unless the player hands in a written transfer request only then does he forgo any contractual rights he has. If a Manager wants to ease a player out that he doesn't want he will help him find a new club otherwise he will be stuck on the payroll as 'dead money. The likelihood is the player and the club will have come to an agreement on the remainder of his contract hence the 'undisclosed fee' I suspect.
So, do I understand that you are saying that FGR didn't pay a fee for him and we paid up (or some monies at least) the remainder of his contract?

D__Lo__

Yeah i agree, holding midfielders are ALWAYS over critisised dates bac to veron, ferguson luved him the vocal **** heads and idiot media gave him stick, even the majestic claude maca got some stick at the chavs his success's helped open a few eyes but seemingly not enuf good luc to the lloyd the fact that another xlub was willing to pay for him suggests lower lge holding midfielders are justifably valued within the game
Veron? Of all the 'holding midfielders' who you could choose. At best he was capable of operating as a deep-lying playmaker but predominantly he was much more expansive than that. He used to pick the ball up in far more advanced positions and contributed significantly with goals and assists. When he didn't or was overwhelmed by the pace of the English game, i.e. dwelling on the ball and being slow to react, this is when he was criticised. Ferguson sold him to Chelsea for a reason.

Not a relevant example or comparison to Lloyd James.

I've never heard of these criticisms of Makelele but what I will say is the game is moving on. Far much more is expected of midfielders in this day and age. Being disciplined is not enough. Being able to support, having mobility and/or the ability to dictate play are also expected. It's only a matter of time until this filters down to the lower leagues completely. Teams ahead of the curve will take this into consideration.

James isn't really a holding midfielder anyway (he doesn't have the attributes or shown he has the mind for it). He does fall into this category of not offering enough though. He's another one of those midfielders who didn't really have a specified role and I feel was another example of Tisdale trying to be clever for the sake of it. I suspect Tisdale saw him as a key element in ball retention but he offered very little and was a real waste of a position IMO. There are plenty of players at this level who can make 5-10 yard passes all day and are still capable of offering much more, with/without the ball or both.

It's surprising that there would be any confusion/debate over 'holding midfielders' when there is actually one at the club already, Jordan Tillson. The difference between the two players is stark. Physically incomparable in terms of strength and arguably the most important aspect of anyone in front of the defence, winning the ball back.

In terms of the club though this is yet another positive move this pre-season.

Last edited:

Well-known Exeweb poster
^^^ more ignorant nonsence ...

D__Lo__

Sorry my mistake for once again foolishly expecting quality debate/content.

No-one has to agree but you make yourself look like a tit when you react in such an immature way just because someone disagrees with you.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

The very definition of ironic.

#TeamD_Lo_

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Veron? Of all the 'holding midfielders' who you could choose. At best he was capable of operating as a deep-lying playmaker but predominantly he was much more expansive than that. He used to pick the ball up in far more advanced positions and contributed significantly with goals and assists. When he didn't or was overwhelmed by the pace of the English game, i.e. dwelling on the ball and being slow to react, this is when he was criticised. Ferguson sold him to Chelsea for a reason.

Not a relevant example or comparison to Lloyd James.

I've never heard of these criticisms of Makelele but what I will say is the game is moving on. Far much more is expected of midfielders in this day and age. Being disciplined is not enough. Being able to support, having mobility and/or the ability to dictate play are also expected. It's only a matter of time until this filters down to the lower leagues completely. Teams ahead of the curve will take this into consideration.

James isn't really a holding midfielder anyway (he doesn't have the attributes or shown he has the mind for it). He does fall into this category of not offering enough though. He's another one of those midfielders who didn't really have a specified role and I feel was another example of Tisdale trying to be clever for the sake of it. I suspect Tisdale saw him as a key element in ball retention but he offered very little and was a real waste of a position IMO. There are plenty of players at this level who can make 5-10 yard passes all day and are still capable of offering much more, with/without the ball or both.

It's surprising that there would be any confusion/debate over 'holding midfielders' when there is actually one at the club already, Jordan Tillson. The difference between the two players is stark. Physically incomparable in terms of strength and arguably the most important aspect of anyone in front of the defence, winning the ball back.

In terms of the club though this is yet another positive move this pre-season.
I totally agree with this. I've said the same myself before. James was never defensive-minded enough to be a holding midfielder and I don't think he was played as one that often. He got tagged as one because, quite frankly, he did very little.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was a terrible player. The only thing you could rely on with him was he was going to be $hit. Unbelievable that another team has oaid money for him. He offered nothing other than effort. 3 good games in 2 seasons was all I saw.