• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One or League Two.....That is the question?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree with much of what you say : the question is how much is a big money new signing.
It’s a good question! Big money isn’t just transfer fees though, a player on £1k a week - not an outrageous salary for a professional footballer of a reasonable standard I’d have thought - will cost £150k over the course of a three year contract. Add tax and NI, pension contributions and any bonuses that are part of the contract and that soon adds up to a not inconsiderable financial commitment.

Angus

In tisdale's ten years at the club we've seen two low league promotions. As long as Tisdale is in charge I wouldn't expect a promotion anytime soon. We will be floating in and around promotion places because we are in a sub standard league with a semi good team. I'm confident with the right manager on similar wage as Tisdale and we could be sitting mid table league one

IndoMike

It’s a good question! Big money isn’t just transfer fees though, a player on £1k a week - not an outrageous salary for a professional footballer of a reasonable standard I’d have thought - will cost £150k over the course of a three year contract. Add tax and NI, pension contributions and any bonuses that are part of the contract and that soon adds up to a not inconsiderable financial commitment.
Which leads us back again to the "do we speculate to accumulate" dilemma. A better team attracts more spectators, sponsors, program sales etc, but signing a couple of real Div 2 quality players with commensurate salaries could also backfire.

Angus

Which leads us back again to the "do we speculate to accumulate" dilemma. A better team attracts more spectators, sponsors, program sales etc, but signing a couple of real Div 2 quality players with commensurate salaries could also backfire.
And this is why we shouldn't waste wages. We never ever gamble and buy players due to not having spare finances for that player to then flop. It brings me to wonder why we can't afford transfer fees but can seem to gamble wages on old players on a decent wedge at this level.

Antony Moxey

I think with no real backers we have to live within our means. Our new £200k striker on £2.5k a week that’s going to guarantee us promotion could break his leg in his first match and then it’s not only him that’s f***ed for the season if we have no-one to bail us out when things go pear shaped.

There’ll be the usual calls of small time, tin pot and lacking ambition but I really do think we have to cut our cloth accordingly - if we can’t afford it we really shouldn’t splash out and hope for the best (which funnily enough a lot of people could do with thinking about in real life too, perhaps we wouldn’t see so many people in financial difficulties if they didn’t live their lives through a credit card, but that’s another story), I just wish people could accept that and reevaluate their expectations. We all want promotion, but risking the very existence of the club to try and get it (and no, I don’t care that other sides in the division might follow that path, or that it might be successful sometimes) just isn’t worth the risk for me.

IndoMike

I think with no real backers we have to live within our means. Our new £200k striker on £2.5k a week that’s going to guarantee us promotion could break his leg in his first match and then it’s not only him that’s f***ed for the season if we have no-one to bail us out when things go pear shaped.

There’ll be the usual calls of small time, tin pot and lacking ambition but I really do think we have to cut our cloth accordingly - if we can’t afford it we really shouldn’t splash out and hope for the best (which funnily enough a lot of people could do with thinking about in real life too, perhaps we wouldn’t see so many people in financial difficulties if they didn’t live their lives through a credit card, but that’s another story), I just wish people could accept that and reevaluate their expectations. We all want promotion, but risking the very existence of the club to try and get it (and no, I don’t care that other sides in the division might I that path, or that it might be successful sometimes) just isn’t worth the risk for me.
I don't believe in credit cards and never owned one. Interest is high and too much fuss. Plus dangerous in the hands of the female species when they're "just looking" in the mall.
I also don't believe in internet banking.
How about a 100k striker on 1.5 k a week. A Doidge type.

Matt Russell

I don't believe in credit cards and never owned one. Interest is high and too much fuss. Plus dangerous in the hands of the female species when they're "just looking" in the mall.
I also don't believe in internet banking.
Is that 1st paragraph for real? A credit card, used to your own advantage, is of terrific value. Insurance against a business folding for one. Hoping your gender observations have tongue firmly in cheek.

Antony Moxey

As I said: if we can afford it. He appears to gone off the boil a bit recently, so maybe it would have been a gamble that with hindsight wouldn’t have been worth taking. Certainly him and Reid aren’t really pulling up many trees together. Risk v reward: tis a tricky one.

IndoMike

As I said: if we can afford it. He appears to gone off the boil a bit recently, so maybe it would have been a gamble that with hindsight wouldn’t have been worth taking. Certainly him and Reid aren’t really pulling up many trees together. Risk v reward: tis a tricky one.
That's what I said, but I can understand the tendency to play it safe considering our past. I do think it's time we tried a new manager, though. to freshen things up a bit. There must be an up-and- coming young manager somewhere that we could hire. I don't think Tis' "two pounds value for every pound spent" is working anymore.

Red faced

If ECFC was a business it would be nothing more than a tradesperson that lands the odd big job that it doesn't expect to be given.. Instead of using the additional cash to invest in the business and extra staff, they would just put the money aside to pay off their mortgage early .

There has never been any ambition at City , we have often been on the receiving end of cashfalls that weren't anticipated , so IMHO , why have we not taken more of a gamble and regarding new payers and used the cash that we never had in the first place? As for comparing football clubs to consumers who over borrow and live their life on the never never..what a load of cack.. This is the world we live in. If we lived in such a perfect idealic world, none of us would own a house..