• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you read it all, It does say what their aims are, A sustainable club with a decent academy (Sound Familiar?) We have to realise that not all new owners are bad, if they were, There's not much in it for them to strip a L1 club.
You're right, I think I'm just a bit jealous...

Whilst I'm proud of our model, it obviously has limitations but that's for another thread.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster

Whilst I'm proud of our model, it obviously has limitations but that's for another thread.
It also says it want to work with their Trust, We have to take that at face value or until proved otherwise. I think its more of a realization that if you have serious ambitions to get into the Championship and to try and stay there, It will take a huge amount of money and investment/skills. That division is littered with ex PL clubs getting £m's in parachute payments and to compete is difficult. You can do well but its quite rare for a club of Wycombe's size to sustain things at that level.

denzel

I was born and grew up a couple of hundred yards (or a decent straight drive) from the County Ground.
I used to go there a fair bit when I was young, usually sneaking in for free after school.
I still have autographs of Lillee, Chappell, Botham and others from back in the 70s.
The ground was much more basic then and had several weak points which made that possible.
They’ve long since gone along with my ability and agility to scale walls.
I still drive by the ground though several times a week on my way to and from some regular business I have in Taunton and I often glance over.
In more recent times my late Mum liked to go matches with her neighbour and swore by the rock cakes they sold in the Old Pavilion.
We held her wake there a few years ago and even ensured there were rock cakes on the day.
I do keep an eye on how Somerset are doing and was pleased with their T20 triumph last season and what seemed like a suspiciously low scoring win yesterday.
I may pick a nice day weather-wise soon (if we get one) and take myself and my sandwiches to a County Championship game, if only for old times sake.
If it’s sunny I’ll wear my ECFC trucker cap (that reference is just here to keep this League One thread on track!).
It was lovely there yesterday Bridgy, nice and warm and a great result too!

grecIAN Harris

More on that story

Before reading the article, he sounds like a dodgy Russian to me. Having read it, Khazakstan (I presume .kz is Khazakstan) is close enough.

Bridgy 81

It was lovely there yesterday Bridgy, nice and warm and a great result too!
Brilliant.
I have very fond memories of the place, especially after one of the numerous limited overs wins there during the late 70s.
My brother and I were given a bottle of champagne by Viv Richards out of the window of the player’s changing room, when it was still in the Old Pavilion (that’s two pavilions ago compared to where they are now!).
It took us a bit longer than usual to ‘stagger’ the couple of hundred yards home that day.

grecIAN Harris

It always had a ceiling right from the get go. When
we were recovering in The Conference nobody
was that bothered. As we rose and some of us suggested such murmurings we got shot down by The Exeter City Church of Trust Rules OK but as time and a raising in standards and ambition moves along more and more fans are slowly beginning to accept the notion. Of course some of the old arguments still stand of who, how and when but the time is coming where The Trust needs to start seriously thinking about putting their Big Boy business pants on to address the potential situation.

andrew p long

Problem is we don't have many local games left. I think after Rovers it will be Oxford, and then Brum if Oxford go up. A 300 mile round trip as a local game, how many other clubs can say that??
I guess our trip to Birmingham will be about our third shortest. But Birmingham's trip to us will be something like their third longest?

The UK media's favourite football team have a really good article about them in the Mirror and all credit to the publication.
On their promotion holiday in the USA Mullin says on Instagram and subsequently liked by McLean: 'we hate the f******g King'.
Real class whatever your views on the monarchy and politics.
Of course Mullin has form on this with his boots stating he hates the f*****g Tories. Really classy coming from someone happy to take Hollywood dollars-different type of capitalist I suppose.
Disney Plus must love this and suppose this won't be in the next installment of we love Wrexham FC.

StroudGrecian

I'm pretty sure the fixture generation isn't completely automated which is why clubs tend to end up playing the same clubs in midweek and over the festive period season after season. I think there was a concerted effort to ensure the midweek games were ones where the difference between a midweek/weekend away following was relatively small.
Seem to remember reading somewhere that the starting point for the 'fixture computer' was the previous season's fixtures - hence our Tuesday-night Derby double and our last 4 fixtures against Shrewsbury.

fred binneys head

We also had a few years of Port Vale away on Tuesday nights too 😡