• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does a job at this level and gives them a different focus/plan if needed. Not a bad 4th option at all, which is the main point the depth Lincoln have. 8 goals & 8 assists last season so there's plenty of productivity. I'd be happy if our '2nd' striker had similar stats this season...

The fat jokes are obvious and easy but I don't let it colour matters of more substance.
How about more colorful matters like his thuggery (eg the way he flattened the Shrews keeper in the Wembley final, he was lucky not to be charged with gbh for that one), loves to dish it out but if someone even just breathes on him, he goes down like a ham actor in a writhing heap ! He's just a thug who wears a football shirt who loves giving it out, but can't take it back. A very poor man's imitation of Barry Corr if you like ! (facepalm)

Red Bill

Does a job at this level and gives them a different focus/plan if needed. Not a bad 4th option at all, which is the main point the depth Lincoln have. 8 goals & 8 assists last season so there's plenty of productivity. I'd be happy if our '2nd' striker had similar stats this season...

The fat jokes are obvious and easy but I don't let it colour matters of more substance.
Jake Taylor apparently got 8 goals and 12 assists last season from midfield, so Rhead's record as a striker is nothing to write home about.

Last edited:

D__Lo__

How about more colorful matters like his thuggery (eg the way he flattened the Shrews keeper in the Wembley final, he was lucky not to be charged with gbh for that one), loves to dish it out but if someone even just breathes on him, he goes down like a ham actor in a writhing heap ! He's just a thug who wears a football shirt who loves giving it out, but can't take it back. A very poor man's imitation of Barry Corr if you like ! (facepalm)
Fair points but a bit of digression apart from arguably the Corr comparison as that's the only bit which touches upon his ability which is all I've been discussing. I agree Corr in his prime was much better. I didn't compare Rhead to anyone specific though nor did I say he was a top Lg2 striker (which Corr nearly was away from City). 'Does a job', 'decent option' I think are/close to my comments.

Jake Taylor apparently got 8 goals and 12 assists last season from midfield, so Rhead's record as a striker is nothing to write home about.
Taylor had 6 assists according to the website I use (soccerway and it's been very reliable, https://us.soccerway.com/teams/england/exeter-city-fc/757/, if you click on the number of assists the games he assisted in will come up, you've cast a bit of doubt but still I find it highly accurate...). I thought 12 was generous hence looking.

Regardless Jake Taylor is one of the best midfielders in Lg2 and IMO easily Lg1 standard.

You might scoff at the numbers but I have strong reservations about whether Forte, Arahams or Jay could repeat the feat unfortunately and that's Lincoln's 4th choice next season not 2nd. Both their starting strikers last season will likely be on the bench more often than not this. Rhead wasn't the main goal outlet either and as a target man it could even be argued his main task was in the build up anyway (which is why I think his stats on top of this role are pretty decent).

Sure weight, aesthetics (and now morals) can be targets. I'm not at all surprised that a rival club's fans don't like him because of this. I do think it says a lot when a manager like Danny Cowley however, who I consider one of the best in the division and by no means a mug, has placed so much emphasis on him and had so much success with him in the team. He's been instrumental to their relative success. It might not be pretty but it's effective. His role will definitely be reduced this season and his career is on a downward spiral but as a fourth, very different option I maintain it's decent depth in Lg2, nothing more, nothing less.

I think the fact we're having a debate about Lincoln's 4th choice striker does say a lot. They look a massive threat this season.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheltenham have just made a couple of interesting signings.

I wouldn't have been against us signing Duku.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44972772

STURTZ

Interesting to us, Maddox left Bristol City at the age of 14 to join Chelsea being hailed as a very promising player, now aged 19 and signing a loan deal for Cheltenham. I'd hope for better for our Ethan Ampadu, wonder how much Bristol got for Maddox?

There must be loads of players like Maddox who would probably have done better starting at a club like Exeter where they might get a chance to develop more quickly.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
New disciplinary procedures for managers this season https://www.efl.com/news/2018/july/football-disciplinary-update-for-201819-season/

Intrigued that they used the Cowley brothers to illustrate the article!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
All hell broke loose in the friendly between Mansfield and Wednesday. Mansfield players taking exception to a tackle. Stewards stepped in to help restore order. The FA will be investigating.
Club statement from Mansfield https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018/july/club-statement---krystian-pearce/

Spoonz Red E

New disciplinary procedures for managers this season https://www.efl.com/news/2018/july/football-disciplinary-update-for-201819-season/

And at SJP to boot ...

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster

Steve Evans would not have fitted in the picture

Positive spin

Possibly because the Lincoln bench spent the whole game giving grief to the fourth official and the closest linesman

Status
Not open for further replies.