• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Le Tour De France 2009

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the other, it's an unbelievable test of endurance that mere mortals like 99.99%, if not more, could not even ever contemplate.
I couldn't agree more. What they manage to go through day after day (ok with the odd rest day) is simply phenomenal, and yet they still manage to sprint up a hill after over 200km of 'racing' in one day.

Cavendish pretty comfortable going up a hill and Wiggins fifth in the GC, it would seem that British class on the track is starting to translate onto the road, could we see a Brit win the Tour once Murdoch gets Team Sky GB going ?
I was having this discussion last night. Road racing in Britain is getting stronger and stronger, throw in a couple of experience domestiques and I think we might see a British winner of the Tour in years to come. This will largely depend on how long Team Sky GB manages to survive and if the likes of Wiggins is prepared to turn his focus to winning one of the big tours.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh and the way that Cancellara descended to bring himself back to the peleton after a puncture was simply awesome...

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yet another win for Cav, it's interesting to see someone challenge for the green jersey but not bother with putting in effort for intermediate sprints. I'm not sure how he does it but the speed of the bloke is amazing and it seems that there needs to be a rise in the finish for him to be beaten, and if it's a power finish then the wise money surely is on Hushovd which is putting a lot of other top class sprinters in the dark :-O

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yet another win for Cav, it's interesting to see someone challenge for the green jersey but not bother with putting in effort for intermediate sprints. I'm not sure how he does it but the speed of the bloke is amazing and it seems that there needs to be a rise in the finish for him to be beaten, and if it's a power finish then the wise money surely is on Hushovd which is putting a lot of other top class sprinters in the dark :-O
Interesting that he went on to say that he wants two more stage wins, does he feel that will be enough to win the tour? I think we may see Hushvold, Cav, and their rivals start to fight it out for the intermediate sprints before the end of the tour.

Hushvold needs a stronger team around him coming into the finish, this is a huge advantage for Cav when entering the last 500m

Newtonpop

What a great race it has been this year so far. Good break today and pressure on the yellow jersey. Cavendish needs to start getting some of those sprints to earn extra points for the green. Think Wiggins can get on the podium in Paris.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure that I agree with the decision to disqualify Cavendish. I don't like the bloke but in neither the head on or top down camera angles did it look like he actually made an attempt to move across and block Hushovd. Thor went for a tight gap which closed down with the barriers, it's a common thing which happens in sprinting and it seems like the authorities have yet again convenietly made a judgement which affects a British rider (even though the Wiggins 15 second one was overturned).

Still no use crying over spilt milk and it'll be interesting to see how much hassle the green jersey gets as Cavendish tries to regain it :D

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure that I agree with the decision to disqualify Cavendish. I don't like the bloke but in neither the head on or top down camera angles did it look like he actually made an attempt to move across and block Hushovd. Thor went for a tight gap which closed down with the barriers, it's a common thing which happens in sprinting and it seems like the authorities have yet again convenietly made a judgement which affects a British rider (even though the Wiggins 15 second one was overturned).

Still no use crying over spilt milk and it'll be interesting to see how much hassle the green jersey gets as Cavendish tries to regain it :D
Come on Jan - it was a clear block he moved to the right and blocked Hushvold you could even see him looking behind to see what he'd done on the ITV 4 coverage.

rogerc

Did you see the arrogant official, who made the decision to say that no appeal would be allowed as he decides whether or not an appeal can be made and he had already decided?
I think that Cav probably did block, but the fencing arrangement is enough to suggest second thoughts in a fair system. I just wonder what the decision would have been if it had been a French rider accused ;)

Poundstretcher

A bit silly from Columbia, trying to get a bit too cute with the race - should have just concentrated on nailing the sprint and winning it that way. Will likely make the Intermediate sprints a bit more closely fought over the final week, now.

Just got back from the Pyranees where we saw Stage 9. Our viewing point was 10 miles after the Tourmalet. Never took much interest in it before this year but am absolutely hooked now. Cant see Contador losing it now and I think Armstrong realises that its a bridge too far. Wiggins has been a revelation and a podium finish must be within his grasp.