• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

MickStagraget

What is this, pseuds corner ?

Catch 22, funny book cack filum, my view may be somewhat blinkered as I read the book whilst lying on a beach on Crete about 33 years ago.
From what I've read so far it just seemed very pleased with itself. I will persevere but so far I've just found it irritating.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Are people planning to go and see the Iron Lady? I don't think I'll do so. Will evoke too many difficult memories and I wouldn't want to see anything that would glorify her time as PM.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are people planning to go and see the Iron Lady? I don't think I'll do so. Will evoke too many difficult memories and I wouldn't want to see anything that would glorify her time as PM.
Probably not, simply because it's an American in the lead role. Are there no British actors available that could do the job? Although I expect I'll watch it when it's eventually on the telly.

Watched Sunshine again last night, about a plot to send a bomb into the sun to restart it after it starts to go out. Sounds stupid, and to a point the bit with the bloke from the original crew who's found God is, but nevertheless it's a decent effort with some great special effects. Well worth a watch.

Antony Moxey

Captain America, the first Avenger. As the title might suggest, a little too flag waving and tub thumping for Yoo Ess Ay for my liking, but look past that and it's another rip roaring Marvel offering that keeps going at a pretty decent pace.

Chris Evans (the flame guy from Fantastic Four, not the DJ) is turned from wimpy nerd to superhero and thus, in best mom's apple pie fashion, helps to defeat the Nazis in WW2 along with Skeletor impressionist Agent Smith from the Matrix.

After that he crash lands in the Arctic only to be found and thawed out 70 years later by Samuel L Jackson, thus tieing the movie with Iron Man (earleir in the film Captain America worked closely with Iron Man's father, Howard Stark) where SLJ appeared as the same character, and also Hulk, where Tony Stark made an appearance. The tie ins are almost more exciting than the films themselves!

I trust though that the Fantastic Four are not a Marvel stablemate, otherwise it'll prove a problem for future films, but that's for another day. 8/10

mammooman

thus tieing the movie with Iron Man...and also Hulk...The tie ins are almost more exciting than the films themselves!...
Its understandable why you left out Thor. I tried to forget about that movie also!

Antony Moxey

Its understandable why you left out Thor. I tried to forget about that movie also!
Is there a tie-in? I dont remember seeing characters from other films in there, I'll have to have another watch of that one.

mammooman

Is there a tie-in? I dont remember seeing characters from other films in there, I'll have to have another watch of that one.
There is a single line printed during the credits 'Thor Will Return in The Avengers'

*THOR SPOILERS*

After the credits you see Dr Selvig (spelling?) meeting with Fury and observing a glowing object kept inside that briefcase Fury often carries. We then see the good Dr. is being manipulated by Loki. It is more than likely the Cosmic Cube, the same Cosmic Cube that Red Skull planned to use in Capt. America and what turned the Hulk into what he is.

GJW

Watched LOTR films over the festive season. Bought the DVD box set some time back but hadnt watched them. Was delighted to find out that there was an extra 40 minutes or so of scenes that had been axed from the original. Watched "The Return of the KIng" NYE evening....a very pleasant way to pass 4 hours leading up to midnight.

The extra DVDs are also good to watch explaining how the films were made etc. Blown away by the detail and the sheer hard work it took to make these films over a period of 5 years. Superb.

Looking forward to seeing The Hobbitt later this year.
I guess you mean Hobbit.

The extended versions of LOTR add up to about 12 hours of continuous film. I challenged myself to watch this in one go without a toilet stop but had to have a pee at Rivendell.

Looking forward to extended versions of the 2 hobbit films.

You can then watch the whole story back to back over 20 odd hours if you have the stamina. What a great drinking day that would be. How did it end? Damn! we'll have to watch it all again.

Antony Moxey

It is more than likely the Cosmic Cube, the same Cosmic Cube that Red Skull planned to use in Capt. America and what turned the Hulk into what he is.
I thought that was an overdose of gamma radiation?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought that was an overdose of gamma radiation?
I can't remember whether the cosmic cube was involved the the experiments that created the Hulk were an attempt to recreate the super soldier procedure from Captain America. I don't think there are any other explicit links between Hulk and Captain America - other than the deleted scene in Incredible Hulk where Captain America can be seen frozen in the antartic in the background.

There are however plenty of Avengers links between the three and Iron Man. The bits with the Cosmic Cube have already been mentioned. Nick Fury appears in all five films while Tony Stark is in Incredible Hulk. The sniper in Thor is Hawkeye who will be a main character in Avengers and Loki is the villain.

I liked Captain America, but did feel it felt more like a prequel to Avengers than a film in its own right.