• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hunger. The story of Bobby Sands from the dirty protests through to his death from hunger strike. Not a barrel of laughs as you might imagine, but then again neither is it as gritty as you'd imagine either. In fact it's dull, almost indeterminably so, although I guess that's probably what it was like in prison at the time, inbetween getting your head kicked in.

But, rather like the protests themselves, there seems little point in this film, other than to show what a filthy bunch of feckers they were, and also how ridiculous it all seems now. 3/10

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seen on the telly (again) ... The Dam Busters (1955) - Richard Todd Michael Redgrave.

Some facts about the making of the Film. The four Lancasters used in the film were taken out of storage from RAF Aston Down, Gloucs, after shooting was completed the aircraft returned to Aston Down and were sold for scrap in april 1956.

The four crews picked to fly the Lancs were draw from 83 and 97 squadrons based at RAF Hemswell, Lincs, most of them had just returned from Singapore flying airstrikes against Communist terrorists in Malaya. Two of the pilots were Polish born Flight Sergeants that had escaped from a Soviet Gulag in 1941.

The shot of the three lancs taking off from a grass airfield was shot at RAF Kirton-In-Linsey, Lincs. At the time of the raid in may 1943, Scampton, the home base of 617 squadron, was a grass airfield so the filming at Kirton was done for authenticity. The over the water filming was done at Windermere and the Derwent dam and reseroir in Derbyshire.

The Air Ministry charged the film company £100 per engine hour running time, as there were usually three lancs, the Varsity camera aircraft and/or a Wellington involved (3 x 4 engines and 2 x 2 engines), £1600 per hour in the early 1950s was quite a hefty sum. Today, this sum is equivalent to £1620 per engine hour, or £6480 per Lancaster per hour.

Poultice

Seen on the telly (again) ... The Dam Busters (1955) - Richard Todd Michael Redgrave.

Some facts about the making of the Film.
It was the non PC version where Gibson's black labrador was correctly referred to as "Nigger", I think it was on the BBC where they changed the name and the code word for a successful mission to summat else.

Cos

Son of Rambow.

Great stuff

8/10.

tavyred

In fact it's dull, almost indeterminably so, although I guess that's probably what it was like in prison at the time, inbetween getting your head kicked in.
Not too many 'character building' kickings have ever been meted out by Her Majesty`s Gaolers in Ulster I would suggest.

http://www.pst-ni.co.uk/memorials.htm

'Lest We Forget'

Antony Moxey

Devil's Advocat. Keanu Reeves the lawyer, Charlize Theron his wife, Al Pacino his boss. And the devil! Pacino overacts his way through the whole piece and poor Charlize goes bonkers. Keanu wins all the time and Pacino also seems to go bonkers, but I don't think that's part of the plot. Anyway, all of that's entirely irrelevent as the only point in watching this film is you get see Charlize's clunge, and that's got to be worth an hour and a whatever of anyone's time.

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sucker Punch

One long trailer for special effects. Could have made more of the story. Women (just!) wearing very little. Win.

6/10
The effects were good but I agree about the plot.
Also, the ending left you wondering...

Vanessa Hudgens (HSM) was rubbish.

5/10

Antony Moxey

Devil's Advocat. Keanu Reeves the lawyer, Charlize Theron his wife, Al Pacino his boss. And the devil! Pacino overacts his way through the whole piece and poor Charlize goes bonkers. Keanu wins all the time and Pacino also seems to go bonkers, but I don't think that's part of the plot. Anyway, all of that's entirely irrelevent as the only point in watching this film is you get see Charlize's clunge, and that's got to be worth an hour and a whatever of anyone's time.
Sorry, that should be 'Advocate', unless Keanu Reeves had decided to play a yellow Christmassy drink, or should that be a double 'A' towards the end there?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was the non PC version where Gibson's black labrador was correctly referred to as "Nigger", I think it was on the BBC where they changed the name and the code word for a successful mission to summat else.

I didn't realise that there had been any tinkering going on with that film, although I understand the new Peter Jackson (he of 'The Lord of the rings') take has changed the dogs name to "Digger". I really cannot understand why they must tinker with proven history. :S

Just googled a clip of the new film and spotted a mistake immediately: during wartime, forage caps were worn at a jaunty angle, that is, tipped over towards the right ear, the clip I've seen had it straight on the head similar to the Yanks.

More info about the Todd film. As the bomb wasn't declassified until 1963, the resulting mock-up (made of plywood and Plaster of Paris) bore little resemblance to the real thing. The shot at the end of the film showing Gibson walking up the road to his office was filmed at RAF Upwood.

Antony Moxey

Rise of the planet of the Apes. Both enjoyed this as well as being disappointed. The story's a good one - very watchable seeing how the main ape's intelligence develops, but the ending's a bit weak and, funnily enough given the length of the film, a bit rushed. But all of that's neither here nor there, two things really bugged me throughout - firstly the apes' faces were just too humanised, and secondly where did they all come from? Towards the end there seemed to be many many hundreds - just how many would you expect to find in an animal sanctuary, a zoo and a research lab, not that many I reckon.

Whatever, niggles or not it's still a pretty enjoyable film which is a good thing as I didn't think I'd like it when I first saw the previews. 7/10