• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Kids football.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jabba.

They play seven aside on pitches 40 paces long by 20 paces wide. They have smaller goals and smaller balls (no jokes!). Our coach's preferred formation is a 2-3-1, where Harry plays central midfield and has both support the attack as well as sit in front of the back two. The two wide midfielders essentially play like wing backs and support the lone striker - he has about 15 goals to his name and the three in midfield are close to double figures each.

The striker doesn't come back into his own half and the two defenders don't go into the opposition's half (or at least that's how Brixington play it). U8s have no offside and you can make unlimited substitutions, including bringing players back on who you've taken off. Also the keeper takes kicks from his hand rather than placed, whether he's caught the ball or it's a goal kick, and there is no back pass rule.

Other than the knockout cup games, every game is officially a friendly and there isn't a league table - this is so that kids don't get put off playing by seeing their side at the bottom of the league with no wins from fifteen games having scored five goals and conceded 128. There's always one team who this happens to!

Games are played in pairs, and are of two fifteen minutes halves. There's usually a ten to fifteen minute break at the end of a match and you then swap oppositions, so on a matchday you will have four teams at each fixture and AvB and CvD in the first match becomes AvC and BvD in the second. For the cup games, you only play the one game that particular Saturday.

Phew, I think that's it, but feel free to ask if you want to know anything else!

Poundstretcher

FA Rules (well, guidelines) are, and have been for some time, that no child in the age groups U10 (year five) and below should play anything larger than seven-a-side mini soccer. Think it's a size three ball.

U11s are the youngest that are allowed to play 11-a-side, but should still only use size fours.

This is recollection from my brief refereeing career that spanned two and a half seasons in the Grimsby Junior Leagues, yielding seven yellow cards and two reds, before I decided I couldn't be bothered any more having been bollocked by the League Referees' Secretary for holding my flag in an incorrect manner during a Cup Final. With hindsight, I did well to avoid telling him where to stick the flag...

On a slightly related note, I'm doing a Level 1 coaching course at Exeter College in October. I've no real intention to coach any clubs, I've enough on my plate with kids' cricket (which incidentally is kicking into a new season's swing around about now and new recruits aged 7+ are welcome at Exeter CC, PM for more info) - it's more about making myself more employable once I qualify as a primary teacher. Has anyone else done this course - what's it involve?

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

LammieLammieLammie said:
how did he take it? Better than his dad?
No, not really. Poor bugger was close to tears at the final whistle, as were many of his team mates. I really felt for them - soooo close as well. The keeper was inconsolable, and I seeing the state the poor lad was in I expect he's still blubbing now. He's not at fault though, even though you could see he thought he was, and just prior to their second he made a couple of cracking stops.

Still, life and football's tough sometimes, and although unpleasant, it's a valuable lesson for the boys and hopefully they'll be stronger next season.

Tis a person nonetheless...

spick

Well-known Exeweb poster
My lad plays for for Pinhoe Spartans U8's( as Ant mentioned), his last game was in "The Plate" out Cat and Fiddle some four weeks or so ago!!
They were in a group of five teams playing a round robin league, we were up against it but they did us proud and didn't loose a single game!!...mind you, they didn't win a single game either!!, they drew every game 0-0 which took some doing i tell you.Three of these games we very tough indeed but they did us proud and defended they're little hearts out.
We left there with our heads held high, just a shame the season fizzled out with out any further games??

LammieLammieLammie

Spick, must have seen you there at some stage!

Is that Paul Doran's team?

the mighty Rockets were there that day, and also didn't win a game....

It's so easy to support a team like Brixington isn't it!

Last edited:

spick

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeh thats them LLL, but Dorsy wasn't there that day and we had to run it ourselves and did a decent job i thought.

LammieLammieLammie

remember it well.

A teacher (Shock horror Female!) from St Peters stepped up to the plate :$ IIRC.....

spick

Well-known Exeweb poster
for us?...yeah Sandra did well, with my expert guidance of coarse ;)

LammieLammieLammie

Ah!

Another Exewebber passes like ships that pass in the night.

Incidently, Heavitree Rockets must have the worst record of any team in youth football.....

no wins, no draws, lost them all..... hardly any goals....

Attitude is everything.

Antony Moxey

Have a look at the Cullompton Rangers website - they have compiled a table for the U8s (even though officially there isn't one).