• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Transfer Window Ins Outs And Rumours

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nichols is history (hopefully).

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not crying out for Tom NIcholls, but he did score goals for us and he has held down a starting position in a decent league 1 side. So don't see why people are quite so negative. Wouldn't be a huge marquee signing but might be better than any of our current partners for Bowman.

andrew p long

Even if Matt was interested in Nichols, it's very probable that the latter's salary demands would be too great, although that would depend on if any other club was interested in him, I suppose.
Agreed. Tom Nichols will be currently on a big salary, agreed when they paid a six figure transfer fee for him. Presumably out of contract in the summer and Rovers looking to save money on the wage bill now. No way should ECFC pay Tom’s current salary. After he has been released on a free in the summer he might be willing to accept the sort of wages that we could afford. Though whilst we have Ajose.....

Alistair20000

I'm not crying out for Tom NIcholls, but he did score goals for us and he has held down a starting position in a decent league 1 side. So don't see why people are quite so negative. Wouldn't be a huge marquee signing but might be better than any of our current partners for Bowman.
According to Wiki 34 goals in 97 appearances for us when he was here. Not too shabby at all.

Colesman Ballz

Agreed. Tom Nichols will be currently on a big salary, agreed when they paid a six figure transfer fee for him. Presumably out of contract in the summer and Rovers looking to save money on the wage bill now. No way should ECFC pay Tom’s current salary. After he has been released on a free in the summer he might be willing to accept the sort of wages that we could afford. Though whilst we have Ajose.....
Better to invest in Seymour, who in the medium term could go on to be better than Nichols, and consequently have a far higher sale/resale value.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like I say... I'm not crying out for Nichols. But if Taylor went for him, there'd be no groans from me. Yes, we're paying a decent wage for Ajose and he should produce. Yes, we've got hopes for Seymour... but if Taylor thinks Nichols would produce the goods second half of the season and the other two won't, then I'd personally be quite excited by the prospect. Big IF though, isn't it. I doubt we're interested in strikers, to be honest.

STURTZ

Can't understand people hankering for a player that has been a pariah at his two previous clubs, what would people say if we signed a player with such a poor return, I mean unbelievably poor return for a striker? Learn to let go, we made a lot of money from him, let's leave it at that and bring on our next generation.

ryancooper327

Any news on a left sided player? Joe Powell a West Ham u23 is getting moved on, he can play anywhere down the left and CM, Koiki sounds decent too.

I think competition would be good for Sparkes next season too. Woody will be gone, Moxey isn’t a wing back and Joel Randall will probably be out on loan again.

Grecianpasty

Can't understand people hankering for a player that has been a pariah at his two previous clubs, what would people say if we signed a player with such a poor return, I mean unbelievably poor return for a striker? Learn to let go, we made a lot of money from him, let's leave it at that and bring on our next generation.
An argument can be made why Bristol Rovers would be getting rid of a striker who has played more first team games than not.

I can understand the link. His goal scoring ratio for us is great. It was also good for Peterborough only a matter of two years ago. At the age of 26 he would be a great option, provided that its a cheap one.

His style of play alongside bowman would excite me. Classic bigman, littleman link up.

grecIAN Harris

His style of play alongside bowman would excite me. Classic bigman, littleman link up.
From what I gather Tom is being asked to do a lot of things that are from his strengths, ie doing the sort of work Bowman does for us. Could you imagine us asking Ajose or Seymour to do a similar job to Bowman and expect a decent return..... it just ain't going to happen.