• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jamie Cureton or John O'Flynn?

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
So..... uhhhh........ I guess JOF ain't getting himself into the box..?

In before Jay says "Tisdale has told him not to score goals".

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite simply, Curo was a gambler, JOF aint.

Curo would run off the man constantly, his off the ball movement is exceptional. JOF by contrast stands still. That ain't anybodys fault but his own and it's the reason why he's never going to get 20 in a season.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
So..... uhhhh........ I guess JOF ain't getting himself into the box..?

In before Jay says "Tisdale has told him not to score goals".
None of our players got in the Burton penalty box that often on Saturday, TBH.

contrabombarde

Selective memory loss does seem to play a part . How many sitters did Cureton miss in the final part of his tenure here? Just a couple of goals can soon turn a baddie into a hero.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always been consistent in my stance on both curo and offline. Jof does not have the makings of a hero in my eyes, even if he scored a winner against argyle this season I wouldn't want to keep him on next year. He just ain't very good.

Grecian1966

I've always been consistent in my stance on both curo and offline. Jof does not have the makings of a hero in my eyes, even if he scored a winner against argyle this season I wouldn't want to keep him on next year. He just ain't very good.
I wouldn't go so far as to say he isn't very good (an average lower league striker I would say). I do agree that we shouldn't keep him next season though (unless he proves us all wrong from now to the end of season). I argued for two seasons that it was unfair to look at JOF goals record whilst Curo was here as the main striker and all the approach play was targeted at him. This season for me was/is his opportunity to show he can play as the main No9 striker. To date he is inconclusive in that role. Of course I want him to succeed like any true fan but the signs haven't looked good thus far? Finding prolific strikers of course on the money we can pay (rather than average types) is hardly easy.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
JoF - simply not good enough. Never thought that he was.....and nothing this season has convinced me otherwise.

East Devon Clown

Putting the fun and the mental back into fundament
JoF - simply not good enough. Never thought that he was.....and nothing this season has convinced me otherwise.
Ditto. He doesn't get himself in enough scoring positions, so he's never going to score as many as Cureton.

FAN-TATIC

To compare O'Flynn with Cureton is unfair. Cureton is a natural goalscorer who in the main relies on instinct. When finding himself in a goalscoring position with too much time to think he is far less successful.

O 'Flynn is not a natural goalscorer, he is at best a 'goal poacher'. However, like Cureton he is not that successful when he has too much time to think.

At the end of last season if I had to choose one or the other, for me it's a no brainer, it would have been Cureton and I would have forfeited all or part of O'Flynn's salary to retain him.

Next season? No way would I spend money on Cureton. He works very hard on his fitness but he, like everyone else, cannot defy the laws of time. A yard slower next year than he is this year will affect his play significantly. Would I retain O'Flynn next season? No I would not, but then I wouldn't have retained him this season either.

Last edited: