• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Moralistic" : "overfond of making moral judgements on the behavior of others".
Possibly - but whatever he does he does it without ranting or raising his voice.

Surely this must confound many of his more indecorous critics.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Possibly - but whatever he does he does it without ranting or raising his voice.

Surely this must confound many of his more indecorous critics.
I wasn't thinking about Mogg when I wrote that, Stuffy.

IndoMike

Lyin' Rees -Mogg strikes again. Can we believe anthing he ever says?
He has admitted he incorrectly claimed that Jeremy Cobyn voted against the Good Friday Agreement.

Asked on Channel 4 News whether it was worth sacrificing peace in Northern Ireland for Brexit, Mr Rees-Mogg replied: “I am unaware of any Brexiteer who is in favour of abandoning the Good Friday Agreement – it’s Jeremy Corbyn, incidentally, who voted against the Good Friday Agreement when it came to Parliament.”

But it was quickly pointed out that the Labour leader did vote for the deal in July 1998 telling the Commons at the time: “We look forward to peace, hope and reconciliation in Ireland in the future.”

Alistair20000

JR-M needs to brush up on his history. It was the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985 that Comrade Corbyn voted against.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
JR-M needs to brush up on his history. It was the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985 that Comrade Corbyn voted against.
Indeed, he admitted* he referenced the wrong agreement.

*I think.

IndoMike

So he's untruthful and stupid?

Alistair20000

So he's untruthful and stupid?
I have never met him Indo so hard to judge. I don't think he is stupid though. How many people do you think will remember the Anglo Irish Agreement let alone which M.P.'s voted one way or the other ? Did you know ?

IndoMike

I have never met him Indo so hard to judge. I don't think he is stupid though. How many people do you think will remember the Anglo Irish Agreement let alone which M.P.'s voted one way or the other ? Did you know ?
The difference is if I was in his position I wouldn't make a statement implying the leader of the opposition party was not in favour of a peace agreement if I didn't know the facts. It is either stupid or deceitful to do that. Take your pick. He needs to think before he speaks.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

The difference is if I was in his position I wouldn't make a statement implying the leader of the opposition party was not in favour of a peace agreement if I didn't know the facts. It is either stupid or deceitful to do that. Take your pick. He needs to think before he speaks.
I agree but he is far from being the only offender.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I *believe* it was in the middle of an interview rather than anything prepared, so one could excuse someone possibly having a bit of a mind freeze - however I agree, it's a pretty important difference and he should have got it right.

Last edited: