• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jacob Rees-Mogg

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Serious question Jason, if not Theresa, who would you plump for (I promise not to get hysterical or hyperbolic on reading your response....)

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Serious question Jason, if not Theresa, who would you plump for (I promise not to get hysterical or hyperbolic on reading your response....)
I've said before that if he had the "look" of a PM I'd go for Rory Stewart.

One name really creeping into view, despite what went before (and despite some of the same reservations as those which hold Stewart back), is Gove - his work at Justice and now at DEFRA is earning an awful lot of praise. I still think the next leader won't be one of the particularly "big hitters", though - I don't yet know enough about Cleverly but the membership as a whole rate him very highly indeed.

Alistair20000

Where do Johnny Mercer and sour puss Anna Soubry rate among the members for next leader Jason ?

IndoMike

I've said before that if he had the "look" of a PM I'd go for Rory Stewart.

One name really creeping into view, despite what went before (and despite some of the same reservations as those which hold Stewart back), is Gove - his work at Justice and now at DEFRA is earning an awful lot of praise. I still think the next leader won't be one of the particularly "big hitters", though - I don't yet know enough about Cleverly but the membership as a whole rate him very highly indeed.
Can he handle the rough and tumble of politics? Regarding, Gove, I see him as the power behind the throne. Not sure if Gove could win an election. Boris of course has charisma but perhaps some of the electorate might think he is unreliable, error prone etc. He's a straight talker but on the other hand a bit of an opportunist. They're all academically smart but can they appeal to the majority? Davis is a bit dull and closely linked to Brexit.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Gove would IMO make a serviceable PM.

The visuals and posh Scottish accent are a problem though.

IndoMike

To summarize, I think Boris would get the job. The fans want entertainment.

Alistair20000

Boris will not get the job. FCAT.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Where do Johnny Mercer and sour puss Anna Soubry rate among the members for next leader Jason ?
Mercer ranks 15th. Not-very-Sobery (amazingly IMO) ranks =19th, alongside Justine Greening and Kemi Badenoch.

Members were allowed to vote up to three times, so these rankings may not be accurate in terms of who people would vote for in a straight fight.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Boris will not get the job. FCAT.
This. Unlikely to make the ballot, let alone secure the vote of the membership. I suspect that ship has sailed.

IndoMike

This. Unlikely to make the ballot, let alone secure the vote of the membership. I suspect that ship has sailed.
Interesting. The reason being too "opportunistic" ?