• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've finished university!

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
got my last exam in exeter tomorrow.

spent three years drinking lots, daily, meeting a plethora of women, going to sh*tloads of pubs and beaches all over devon and generally having the best time imaginable. not learnt a thing about my course. will get a 2.1.

ciao

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Depends on what career route you take though, doctors and lawyers need degrees and many others need some sort of qualification to supplement their knowledge gained from the job. Gaining RICS status is one thing that pretty much needs a degree (and certainly a large amount of studying) to acquire and can do great things for a salary.
Well durr. As for RICS, I think there are circumstances in which you can gain RICS status without degrees, that's if you need it in the first place.

Red Robbo

Well done to you guys who now have a hard-earned degree. All you have to do now is practice for your employment. Just stand in front of the mirror and keep repeating...

...Would you like fries with that?

Grecian Max

Exactly how long do you have to be out of University before you start hating students?

I would really like to know if Snakebite or the Upstart have felt the urge to hit someone wearing a rugby shirt (with the collar turned up) yet...

Best wishes to both in the 'real world'.
Not long, I graduated 2 years ago and hate them. Wandering around filling up the parks, moaning about having to do some coursework or, pity them, an exam...

Whether it's jealousy... well yeah it probably is.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for all the messages, results came out on Friday and after bashing my calculator around and scratching my head the scores on the doors point to a 2.1.

Good enough to get into almost anything in the industry (except Rolls Royce bloody snobs!) and a few others.

It was quite an odd feeling packing the notes, papers and books away on Friday thinking that I'll not have to get them out! And no more Math's exams, proper!

In answer to some of the questions...

Ant, I can't even get my foot in the door of most Aero Engineering firms (be it motorsport, aircraft or spacecraft) without having the 'relevant degree'.
Debt wise, I've got about £20,000 of student loan debt and about £3,500 personal debt I think currently. The student loan doesn't start being repaid until you earn over £15,000p/a and comes out with NI/income tax, so isn't 'noticeable'. And the other debt will be chipped away at and isn't an issue.

Uni clearly isn't a choice for everyone, I knew (roughly) what I wanted to do career wise so had to go and enjoyed it, but if you want a career that doesn't require a degree then don't go to uni, unfortunately the idiots in the previous government decided that they should try and make everyone go and as a result there are the sh*t pointless courses and no jobs for the graduates of those courses.

EX4 6PX, I went to a 'poly' (Where is Oli?! :D) where more people wore burkha's than rugby shirts with upturned collars. I already hate college students, give it a month or two and the unwashed uni types will be the subject of my anger!

Back to the job applications it is then!

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
EX4 6PX, I already hate college students!
Good work that man!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't hate students, good luck to them if they are doing a worthwhile course, but snakey has raised a good point that education has been used in the past to help massage the old jobless figures alongside the civil servants, hence the pointless courses as the majority of us perceive them.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Congratulations on finishing.

After 3 years in the real world I've decided I can't keep up with it all so I'm going back to university in September to do a masters. Hope to then go on and do a phd. The end result is I get to spend probably the next 5 years being a student again.

Antony Moxey

To what end Hermann? Is there a point to your Phd - in that is it specifically for a career path you wish to take - or is it just another set of letters after your name?

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sh*t, I don't remember several years of my university course let alone how I actually got through them. Employment is very dependant on what course you take, Science, Maths and Medicine courses get you a decent job even if you're sh*t, Languages and Law get you a decent job if you are good and Arts, humanities and media will get you a 12k loan repayment.