• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ilmari Niskanen (Welcome)

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's like a pint-sized George Friend. Without the footballing ability. Or the looks.

To be clear, the above is, at least partly, tongue in cheek. I haven't seen Ilmari away from home, where the clear consensus is he has been much better, and it's still relatively early days in his Exeter City career, so am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being at least – but, moving forward, I'd like to see much, much more from him.
Just to confirm, it seems Ilmari is much more handsome away from home. At Barnsley he drew many compliments re his outstanding cheekbones whilst Wigan fans were most impressed by his wideset eyes.

tom_ecfc

He’s a marmite player 😉

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
He’s a marmite player 😉
Derby's left back had him on toast

tea stand

Agreed - but also

wicked bounce - are you blaming Chas for the uneven state of the pitch?(!)

back three stood off Max Bird - I thought it was more the responsibility of a central midfielder to close down Bird.
I watched the extended highlights on Rams TV with one of their fans commentating on how good our pitch is.
"Given the amount of rain Devon has had over that past week, that pitch looks perfect. Congrats to the Exeter groundsmen, it looks like a carpet, Championship and premier leagues would be happy with that. "

tom_ecfc

Derby's left back had him on toast
Your comment liked by ‘egg’ 🤣

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Better performance yesterday. His crosses didn't hit the first man every time.

crocks

Benefitted from some superb through balls by Sweenz.

grecIAN Harris

The players who are easy on the eye often rely on the likes of Niskanen who are prepared to put in a hard working shift. Every successful team needs players like Ilmari. Not every one in a team will play like Reece Cole or Ryan Harley. 1989/90 think Paul Batty and Richard Dryden. There is a reason why Gary plays him for the full 90
Think of 89/90 and tell me who our 'playmaker' was......... I don't think we really had one. We had one old skool winger in Brian McDermott, a solid old pro with a bit of quality in Clive Whitehead, Danny Bailey who just nailed anything and everybody and various amounts of players 'doing a job' on the left.

Rosencrantz

Think of 89/90 and tell me who our 'playmaker' was......... I don't think we really had one. We had one old skool winger in Brian McDermott, a solid old pro with a bit of quality in Clive Whitehead, Danny Bailey who just nailed anything and everybody and various amounts of players 'doing a job' on the left.
If we had someone you could describe as a playmaker in 89/90 it was Steve Neville. Really though, that team was made up of very good combinations (Dazza and Neva, Scottie and Macca, Shaun and Jim, Danny and Clive) and other players that could just slot in when needed (Youngie, Batts, Benji, Lee Rogers).

JamieEcfc

Hoping he can turn himself into a player similar to David Wheeler who was always very good in the air and dribbling, Imari seems to fair well, but not much end product there

After a quiet first half I thought he did very well second Vs Bolton