• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ilmari Niskanen (Welcome)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hi reminds me of a poor James Miller. Works his socks off but don't really know what his best position is. He had a better game on Saturday and is a likeable squad player. Just wish he had a better end product but hope it will come soon.
The same James Milner that played over 600 premier league games and had over 60 international caps for England?

Not sure there's much comparison, even if he is a poor version.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
He’s a solid to good player is Ilmari. Yes he has the occasional poor game but people who call him shit are, frankly, moronic.
Pretty much as moronic as the dullards on the Bank who call him Dave.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pretty much as moronic as the dullards on the Bank who call him Dave.
"Illi" isn't difficult if you can't stretch to Ilmari is it? Said as someone who stands with the "dullards" 😂

Bridgy 81

Yeah, but what does the manager of Finland know about football?

😄

CWH-NYC_

here is the answer. Probably more than us https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markku_Kanerva

Bridgy 81

To be honest I don’t care what anyone else thinks about Ilmari, I reckon he’s more than ok.
He’s tenacious and importantly can occupy various positions as required.
His interview this evening, post Burton, was brilliant.
I’m hoping he’ll be with us for awhile.

Mid Devon Grecian

He had a very good game today. we deffo needed him. Good character and always gives everything.

STURTZ

Worrying what Caldwell said about his shoulder....was never properly fixed.

Looking forward to Finland v Wales on Thursday!

Grecian Max

Had his best game for us yesterday and brings something to the team with engine and energy

He still can’t kick a ball to a professional standard, but everything else is there 😂

Bizarre player, like David Wheeler minus the footballer bit

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had his best game for us yesterday and brings something to the team with engine and energy

He still can’t kick a ball to a professional standard, but everything else is there 😂

Bizarre player, like David Wheeler minus the footballer bit
Bit harsh that Max imo. As fans we are fixated on certain metrics of how we judge players - generally speaking we measure forward players by goals and assists and not much else. On that basis Ilmari wouldn't be in a lot of fans starting line up. However, it appears managers and coaches view performance altogether differently than to us. Ilmari's running is I suspect in the top three of all our players and his defensive work is incredible - witness how he ended up side by side putting off their 32 player who was in on goal in the 2nd half. His off the ball work is impressive when we have lost possession and his awareness of what is going on around him filling in when others have been caught out of position is the sign of an intelligent player. His heading is also excellent. You can work on goals and assists on the training ground the other attributes not so. He has already started to add better crosses and assists to his game it wont be long I'm sure till he starts scoring.