• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hiram Boateng take a bow

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Boateng is a good player when we play to his strengthsin the right situation, so is Moxey, Woodman, Law, Holmes... all players that are sometimes lauded as being really good and other times we are told they're crap.

Yesterday's debacle had little to do with the players, it was down to poor management. Just because all our A list players are available doesn't mean they have to play! We have a plethora of players good in running around a lot in midfield to play them all just means we are going to see the kind of shapeless chaos we saw against Mansfield. A great writing mass of midfield activity with no real purpose, gradually trying to work the ball forward, sometimes getting it to the wings before realising that there was no one in the middle capable of doing anything with a cross anyway. The team should start with the shape they are going to play and then the players selected to fulfil those roles, just perhaps Law and Boateng can't play together, Taylor is very similar to Matt Jay perhaps one should be left out? Matt Taylor has got to show some courage and imagination in his team selection.

Add to that the ridiculous decision to play a high line against one of the fastest forward lines in league 2 and the complete failure to change things when it was obvious we were being outplayed and you could say it wasn't the players fault, it was Matt Taylors. I'm his greatest fan but he showed crass naivity yesterday.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taylor is very similar to Matt Jay
No he isn't.

IndoMike

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve his place in the team based on that performance, but I think if you read my post properly you know that anyway.
I'm totally pro-Boateng when he's in the groove. I mentioned regarding his performance yesterday that his hip problem might just be taking the edge off his play and might explain why he had an off-day. But he is a bit like Harley in that he can be a match-winner or be a bit anonymous. Overall I'm glad we have him and hope he can get back to his best.

Positive spin

Boateng is a good player when we play to his strengthsin the right situation, so is Moxey, Woodman, Law, Holmes... all players that are sometimes lauded as being really good and other times we are told they're crap.

Yesterday's debacle had little to do with the players, it was down to poor management. Just because all our A list players are available doesn't mean they have to play! We have a plethora of players good in running around a lot in midfield to play them all just means we are going to see the kind of shapeless chaos we saw against Mansfield. A great writing mass of midfield activity with no real purpose, gradually trying to work the ball forward, sometimes getting it to the wings before realising that there was no one in the middle capable of doing anything with a cross anyway. The team should start with the shape they are going to play and then the players selected to fulfil those roles, just perhaps Law and Boateng can't play together, Taylor is very similar to Matt Jay perhaps one should be left out? Matt Taylor has got to show some courage and imagination in his team selection.

Add to that the ridiculous decision to play a high line against one of the fastest forward lines in league 2 and the complete failure to change things when it was obvious we were being outplayed and you could say it wasn't the players fault, it was Matt Taylors. I'm his greatest fan but he showed crass naivity yesterday.

"Yesterday's debacle had little to do with the players, it was down to poor management."

The tactics may have been wrong but that is no excuse what so ever for the well below par performances from many of the City players.

IndoMike

We lost because we defended too high and got caught out by their strikers, because we made bad defensive errors, because several players had a bad day, and because Mansfield were better than us, with more pace, power and nous. Simples.

No he isn't.
Correct like chalk and cheese.
Jay could not play in centre midfield - too lightweight, appreciate he got MOM yesterday (not a lot to choose from in fairness) but he was completely bullied.

hillview red

Best goal I've seen at the Park for technique. Can't match the drama of Stacey or the derby factor of Watkins but the most incredible control and finish.

Take another bow Hiram

STURTZ

Hear hear, coming to fitness and form at the right time of the season. Always woindered if Boateng and Law could play together and hopefully today they proved that they can.

Saint James

An instant chance to ask the man himself about his goal of the season! Hiram will be in attendance on Monday evening 6.30-7.30 at Antonio's, 9, The Strand, Exmouth (next to Subway just down from Exmouth Indoor Market). Come and have a chat and a selfie with City's Number 44. Bring the kids and have a coffee or an ice cream as well

Grecian2K

Question 1) Did you buy Woody at least a pint or two for that "pinpoint pass" that set you up for that wonder goal? ;)