• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hartlepool Face FA Charge

MadJohn

Coaching a non-league football team in a Cornwall
How can that be fair imagine if Brighton were in a promotion place but lost out on goal difference and likewise imagine Hartlepool staying up on goal difference all because of that game
You'd be entering the realms of guesswork. If we lose the goals as well or if Brighton were awarded goals and/or points the assumption would be that Brighton would have won or drawn if Liddle had not played. There is no way of knowing that. We have been deducted points for the rule breach. The result of the Brighton game still stands.

David, I agree that an appeal would be pointless. It's not because I fear an increased punishment as I don't reckon that would happen. I just don't see us winning an appeal. Punishments have been reduced on appeal (I suppose the most famous example was when Swindon were initially relegated to the third division after winning the Div2 playoff before being found guilty of illegalities. They remained in the second division on appeal) but not often and I can't remember a successful appeal in cases like ours. It seems a waste of time and money.

As it happens, it looks like Sky Sports have jumped the gun on this (it's a day for that it would seem). HUFC have made no offocial announcement yet regarding an appeal. I would imagine they will wait until after Saturday.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
You'd be entering the realms of guesswork. If we lose the goals as well or if Brighton were awarded goals and/or points the assumption would be that Brighton would have won or drawn if Liddle had not played. There is no way of knowing that. We have been deducted points for the rule breach. The result of the Brighton game still stands.

David, I agree that an appeal would be pointless. It's not because I fear an increased punishment as I don't reckon that would happen. I just don't see us winning an appeal. Punishments have been reduced on appeal (I suppose the most famous example was when Swindon were initially relegated to the third division after winning the Div2 playoff before being found guilty of illegalities. They remained in the second division on appeal) but not often and I can't remember a successful appeal in cases like ours. It seems a waste of time and money.

As it happens, it looks like Sky Sports have jumped the gun on this (it's a day for that it would seem). HUFC have made no offocial announcement yet regarding an appeal. I would imagine they will wait until after Saturday.
I imagine they would only appeal if they get relagated on saturday

City2004

Well done Hartlepool, great spirit there to only get 3 points deducted instead of the regulated 5. It would have been unjustified if Hartlepool got deducted 5 points, were relegated and city would stay up because of that, we'd feel so guilty.

Jim Shepherd

Well done Hartlepool, great spirit there to only get 3 points deducted instead of the regulated 5. It would have been unjustified if Hartlepool got deducted 5 points, were relegated and city would stay up because of that, we'd feel so guilty.
Regulated 5? Who were the last sides in the FL to be deducted 5 for a similar breach?

MadJohn

Coaching a non-league football team in a Cornwall
The latest from our official site: Hartlepool United HAVE appealed against the decision of the Football League panel. Very surprised at the timing. I thought we'd have waited until after the weekend and then quietly let it drop if we stayed up anyway.

papillon

The latest from our official site: Hartlepool United HAVE appealed against the decision of the Football League panel. Very surprised at the timing. I thought we'd have waited until after the weekend and then quietly let it drop if we stayed up anyway.
In fairness John. If by some absolute freak you are relegated (can't believe it will happen!) and they then appealed it would look very much like sour grapes. At least now it looks like you feel you have a genuine gripe about what has happened.

Last edited:

chrisnaan

So can we assume that Hartlepool will now drop their appeal?

StixUK

So can we assume that Hartlepool will now drop their appeal?
Is there a great amount of monetary difference in them appealing (i.e gaining places?)

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is there a great amount of monetary difference in them appealing (i.e gaining places?)
Or would they risk further penalty?