• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimes watch.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Eye opener for the lad I'm sure - he was a top player at league 2 level that means nothing at premier league level

He's a talent and I'm sure he will make the grade but it won't happen overnight

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed. They draw away with a clean sheet at the side 5th in the Premiership....and a number of suggestions that the 90 mins he played weren't good enough. The more sensible posters suggested he did OK
I think this says more about Grimes than a lot are suggesting. His first start (I think) in the Premiership, away at a high flier, survives three substitutions and earns a draw. If he didn't cut the mustard he'd have been off. Good on him.

bsmaff

Will Grimes now get a chance in the team since JonJo is about to sign for Newcastle?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Will Grimes now get a chance in the team since JonJo is about to sign for Newcastle?
He'll at least be featuring from the bench more frequently if nothing else.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I sat through the full turgid 90 mins and watched Grimes like a hawk. He played in what should have been a fairly prominent central-left midfield role, but sadly was very poor. Totally anonymous in the first half. Slightly better in the second as he got involved a touch more, but when he did get the ball he either passed it badly or backwards.

He was perhaps a victim of Swansea obviously being happy with a point and so sitting back somewhat as a result, but anyone who thinks his performance was acceptable for the Premier League is kidding themselves. Perhaps he'd do better in a home game with a greater licence to push forward, but he really didn't do himself any favours against Palace.
Think you're being a bit harsh - all the more so when you consider this was Matty's Premier League debut. Wales Online was a bit more generous:

MATTY GRIMES: Struggled for the kind of impact he would have liked in his first Premier League start just left of his natural position but played with a maturity, worked hard and used the ball well when he had the chance to. 7

www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-player-ratings-vs-10659611

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought he had a decent game, a few through balls that could have split the defence and plenty of sensible movement. Really don't think that him and Shelvey is an ideal combination. Shelvey is your old fashioned English midfield charger who is all gung ho and no brain, doesn't play a sensible simple ball when he should, is technically limited and overestimates his own capabilities.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought he had a decent game, a few through balls that could have split the defence and plenty of sensible movement. Really don't think that him and Shelvey is an ideal combination. Shelvey is your old fashioned English midfield charger who is all gung ho and no brain, doesn't play a sensible simple ball when he should, is technically limited and overestimates his own capabilities.
Agreed re: Shelvey - he comes across to me as being someone who simply tries too hard. He isn't all that but tries to be the heartbeat of the team.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed re: Shelvey - he comes across to me as being someone who simply tries too hard. He isn't all that but tries to be the heartbeat of the team.
According to reports today, Shelvey is off to Newcastle.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Post 423 should really have mentioned that!

A deal has been agreed.

Stelios

In that case Shelvey will soon have the chance to prove he really is a Championship player.