• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

government" we must wean ourselves off oil"

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: government" we must wean ourselves off oil"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crude nudging $118 this morning.

-----------------------

That's quite expensive for crude nudging.
Depends what she is nudging you with.

One size Fitz Hall

It's easy, we use nuclear power, instead of oil. It is cheaper, better for the environment and it is easily renewable, therefore cheaper.

LOG

I like the idea of a nuclear powered car.

One size Fitz Hall

I like the idea of a nuclear powered car.
They already exist. They are electric cars.

ECFC Music

No government would dare increase speed limits particularly in towns and cities as deaths and injuries would increase.So that's a non starter even though it means more effective use of fuel if optimum speed limits are implemented.
Over the years governments have talked about integrated transport policies,John(2 Jags) Prescott promised to resign if his ideas failed to come to fruition and many other half baked schemes have been floated whilst all the time road transport policy has seemed to generate an indispensible source of revenue for government tacitly encouraging oil usage in direct contradiction of the stated goal of reducing reliance on said fuel.
So perhaps the best way of reducing reliance on oil is to wean the government off it's insatiable appetite for revenue from it's usage, whilst providing a dramatic increase in alternative means of transport alongside major and sustained expansion of research and development of alternative fuel sources.

Antony Moxey

No government would dare increase speed limits particularly in towns and cities as deaths and injuries would increase.
Then educate the poor to watch where they're going instead of blindly walking out in front of cars and educate bloody cyclists that the rules of the road apply to them, too.

However, perhaps the deaths and injuries would be no bad thing as it would only be the teminally stupid who'd still continue to walk out in front of speeding traffic.

One size Fitz Hall

That is a horrifically thoughtless post. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Antony Moxey

No it wasn't, I thought long and hard about it first before posting.

One size Fitz Hall

If you are seriously suggesting that increasing speed limits in the UK would be beneficial in weaning the World from their reliance on oil, you are very, very mistaken.

If you seriously believe that only stupid people cross the road then you are again, very, very mistaken.

StixUK

Then educate the poor to watch where they're going instead of blindly walking out in front of cars and educate bloody cyclists that the rules of the road apply to them, too.

However, perhaps the deaths and injuries would be no bad thing as it would only be the teminally stupid who'd still continue to walk out in front of speeding traffic.
In somekind of perverse way I actually like the post, couldn't bear the thought if one of my kids was the victim.

But I do think the majority of our problems are over-controlling of society meaning that people rebel back and do things wrong for the sake of it, to get into trouble.

The trust my father and nan talk about has all but gone in an over-protective and over-sensitive world!!