• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

government" we must wean ourselves off oil"

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Renewable energy. Biomass, wood fuel. The technology is there. We sell Austrian boilers..
That's fine if the boiler owner lives close to the woodchip supplier, but a regular lorryload of fuel supply going into inner-city London or Birmingham, supplying schools and hospitals say, would arguably create just as big a carbon footprint.

This country should work towards creating a far better public transport system, one that people might actually be tempted to use.

Antony Moxey

Councils should actively raise speed limits. Instead of the ridiculous plethora of 20mph zones appearing everywhere (Exwick - WTF), and speed bumps and chicanes blighting our roads, speeds within city limits should be raised to 56mph.

Not only will this ease congestion as everyone is moving quicker instead of crawling through endless sets of traffic lights deliberately timed to slow the flow down, but it's also the speed oft quoted by vehicle manufacturers when they want to show how fuel efficient their engines are.

56mph everywhere is the answer.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes we must learn to not rely on oil. BUt how pratical at this second in time isit. I need my car to get to work. I share as much as possible in order to save petrol. But its not pratical for everyone in this country at this second in time.

We need to make our Public transport better but with no money this will be hard.

Simple ways to reduce this..

Madatory age of death(Say 70 with everyone retiring at 60 max)
Reducing the worlds population(say 1 child per women unless you have twins etr I Say women as easier to control that way)

I would say kill halve the world now but people wont like that lol! But there are 2 simple things which need to be introduced. People are living to long! Its really as simple as that. I genuinely would like the idea of having 10 years off guanteed! In turn having a mandatory age of death would save the NHS Billions of pounds etr.

Last edited:

mammooman

We need oil just as much as we need power companies to stay in business. The effect on huge reductions in jobs and tax income to the state alone would be far too great to be worth getting rid of.

The only way we will gradually wean ourselves off oil is when a method of extracting energy is harnessed in such a way that Mr. Joe Bloggs can't do it himself (ie, wind turbine in garden/solar panels on roof.) If these were the way forward (for the country) then surely every new build would have these as standard? Of course, that isnt stopping an individual going out and buying these items though.

Maybe the reason the discussion of off-shore wind farms, nuclear power, geothermal etc keep coming up, ok they may not be able to provide 100% of our current electrical usage but it's providing power, creating/keeping jobs and money in this country where other sources of energy, both renewable and not, would require outsourcing to other nations.

Or maybe I'm just looking at the whole thing completly the wrong way.

Mr Jinx

Crude nudging $118 this morning.

Grecian_in_Plymouth

That's fine if the boiler owner lives close to the woodchip supplier, but a regular lorryload of fuel supply going into inner-city London or Birmingham, supplying schools and hospitals say, would arguably create just as big a carbon footprint.

This country should work towards creating a far better public transport system, one that people might actually be tempted to use.

Never happen --stick to things we know that can work,

Inner cities exempt -its a good solution -A lorry could do a full 28 tonne loads on a full tank to make a wood pellet/chip delivery and still be carbon saving, these hospitals are burning oil/gas like no tomorrow -and with the price going up -it is a sensible solution.

Last edited:

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
keep me in a job lads!!

LOG

Councils should actively raise speed limits. Instead of the ridiculous plethora of 20mph zones appearing everywhere (Exwick - WTF), and speed bumps and chicanes blighting our roads, speeds within city limits should be raised to 56mph.

Not only will this ease congestion as everyone is moving quicker instead of crawling through endless sets of traffic lights deliberately timed to slow the flow down, but it's also the speed oft quoted by vehicle manufacturers when they want to show how fuel efficient their engines are.

56mph everywhere is the answer.
Apparently, they're about to reduce speed limits in Spain to save fuel.

The country is on its knees and even civil servants are going unpaid, but at least they'll save some petrol.

Antony Moxey

Apparently, they're about to reduce speed limits in Spain to save fuel.
Yes, motorway limits. But those below the peak fuel efficiency speed are remaining the same. Do away with 20, 30, 40 and 50mph limits and just have a blanket 56mph one instead.

Juan Kossof

Re: government" we must wean ourselves off oil"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crude nudging $118 this morning.

-----------------------

That's quite expensive for crude nudging.