• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goodbye Tisdale

dontpassback

I learned about the Tisdale v Club Board theory quite a while ago from a trusted source on here. Apparently its a situation thats been bubbling along for some time now, and its regarding a specific person on that board. Thats all I'm saying; exeweb is pretty much my life now.
Pete,are you saying that a lot of This is down to personality clash between tisdale and a board member,because it must be a pretty big rift or allowed to simmer for a long time.i appreciate you can’t say too much but it seems incredible that the issue hasn’t been sorted by the board of ECFC.

davecg

Not sure that it’s short term success vs long term goals. Surely it’s both? A football club HAS to achieve results, that’s the whole point of its existence. The 40+ home defeats in the five seasons before the last two simply aren’t acceptable and cannot be used as an excuse because he was supposed to be aiming for something else. To a fashion results MUST sit alongside anything he’s been asked to achieve, in fact it should be given that’s understood regardless of what’s written in a contract.
I don't disagree. However the surprise he felt over his notice being given, results and table position at the time would have put any manager under pressure, and subsequent interviews have given the impression that he was working under the remit of longer term growth being more valuable than short term gain. That perceived change certainly seems to have led to a change in the style of play, also the move back into the loan market, something he's not used due to being happy to rely on the academy and the potential for growth in those players, tends to suggest he's changed the way he works.

The drive for his notice to be given, the vocal pockets of dislike for Tisdale, it seemed to come as a shock to many at the club, none more so than Tisdale himself. Makes me wonder weather he was just oblivious to a series of events that have been building for some time, or weather the club and manager aren't on the same page.

davecg

Tisdale stated at the beginning of he season that the target was promotion. If he raised ecxpectations it's hardly anyone's fault but his own.
This is where the communication aspect comes in. A manager and squad aiming for promotion is nothing new, most of the 92 EFL clubs will tout the similar hot air over the summer, but having expectations and then judging someones work on the tools they have at their disposal are slightly different things. Where does our budget sit compared to other clubs? Are we in a position where finishing above clubs with attendances that double our own can be deemed as failure? Over the last two years have we had a budget that has been amongst the top 7 in the league? The club just don't communicate these aspects, so as a fan base all success is now viewed as a given, when broken down, Im fairly certain we have had two very solid seasons of which the manager deserves praise. After losing Watkins, Wheeler and losing a play off final this looked a tough season to rebuild in, added to the ground developments and the pitch being in a poor state throughout. Yet not only did we "bounce back," we improved. 80pts. Yet, despite this, the last few weeks of the season sections of our support have been hounding the manager out of town.... I personally began watching City in the 90s and we were terrible, going out of business, **** to watch, just terrible. These are the good times, as good as they've ever been, yet some are looking upon it as a period of failure and have a sense of entitlement far beyond the clubs means.

The split between the fanbase, the club and the manager is wide. How has this happened? Tisdale has to take responsibility for his part, but as a club we have not helped heal any rifts. A change seems inevitable, but it does feel that it could have been avoided if the situation had been managed better by all parties.

dommers

So you're saying you want fans to slate the new manager but at the same time you are saying they can't slate Tisdale. What a weird attitude to take.
I'm not saying that at all. It's just that's what seems to happen. I'd like to think we'd see year on year improvement and that hasn't happened this year hence the fans reaction. Not sure we should expect anything less from a new manager.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't think most people would have a problem finishing fourth every year. It's the manager acting like an ungrateful ******* whilst doing it that's the problem.

ChardGrecian

I have taken a couple of days to calm down after another massive loss in a big game to gather my thoughts - knee jerk reactions don't work for me. I think Steve Perryman, Paul Tisdale, the club, the trust, coaches and the players (old and new) have done an unbelievable job taking us from a desperate situation in the 2006 to where we are viewed as good club and at the top end of League 2 and I feel they should all be respected for that.
However during the past 18 months Tisdale seems to behave like a petulant child when he dose not get his own way and diverts blame for his own actions to others rather than omitting publicly he could have got it wrong. I don't blame the players for Monday they were playing and doing exactly as the manager instructed, to a game plan he and his coaches devised - unfortunately this plan (Stockley on his own up front) had failed miserably all season so why did they honestly think it would work at such a big game. I was always taught to make a mistake once is fine (and should even be encouraged as we are all human), to make the same mistake twice is stupid but to continue stubbornly making the same one over and over again is unforgiveable.
Unfortunately Paul and coaching staff did not publicly accept at least part of the blame and for Tisdale to walk down the tunnel without going to put an arm around some of the players who worked hard doing as they were told is in my view deplorable - even if he wanted to do it in private this was a time for public support to show everyone he cared.
I remain undecided about him leaving or not as he has done such an incredible job for our club and will always have my admiration for that but if he continues to act like he is the only one that matters and everyone else is wrong, cannot repair the rift with the club and supporters that he must accept some responsibility for, then I would rather he went and tried his luck elsewhere.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Come on City, announce the announcements!

Andy Holloway

Not only does it not give that impression but there is a fundamenal lack of logic in what you are saying.

The motion asked for Tisdale's contract to be renegotiated. End of. Nobody would have expected that negotiation to begin 6 months before the end of his contract and indeed we know it didn't. We are at this point because Tisdale has stalled and not signed, as is his right. The "consequences" as you put them are as a result of Tisdale's actions, not the motion.

You can continue with your non-sensical, ill-informed rubbish but the motion was not about getting rid of Tisdale - as you have been told numerous times - and if you had been at the meeting, or just taken on board what those that were there said, the idea of Paul Tisdale leaving the club was not promoted by anybody.
Not according to what John Williams posted earlier;
We request that, within a period of four weeks from the date of this Annual General Meeting, the board of the Exeter City Supporters' Trust direct the board of Exeter City Football Club to:

1) Clarify whether the employment contract between Mr Paul Tisdale, football manager, and Exeter City Football Club incorporates a clause that sets out the details relating to any termination of said contract and, specifically, the term of notice required to be given in such circumstances.

2) Should such a clause be proven to exist, the Board of Exeter City Supporters' Trust shall immediately instruct the board of Exeter City Football Club that notice be served on Mr. Paul Tisdale, in line with the appropriate and relevant terms of the contract, with the purpose of securing an alternative contract that will best protect the financial interests and security of the football club and be acceptable to both parties jointly and individually."

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tisdale stated at the beginning of he season that the target was promotion. If he raised ecxpectations it's hardly anyone's fault but his own.
So did 23 other managers.

ExeterCityLad

Numerous bookies are no longer taking bets on Tisdale to be the next MK manager.

That's all the confirmation I need. Get in there! We've got our club back! Now please, lets get an ambitious manager.