• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gill to Norwich

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
On thing in Gunn's quote does puzzle me a little:

Gunn told Norwich's official website: "The winning mentality of a player who has been with a club which has enjoyed success for the last two seasons was very important to me.

"Matt has experience at this level with other clubs and he's a very competitive player - but he's also a player who likes to pass the ball and I believe the Norwich fans will take to him due to the way he plays, the attitude and commitment he shows.

"He's a Norwich lad born and bred and he is desperate to pull on the yellow and green jersey and do well for Norwich City."
All the the sources I've been able to find have him quoted as born in CAMBRIDGE.

Now, I'm not a wizz at geography I'll admit, but even I know that Cambridge (& Peterborough, his first club) are NOT (quite) in Norfolk.

Perhaps Mr Gunn was misquoted, and what he ACTUALLY said was:
"he is desperate to pull out that yellow and green pay packet and do well from Norwich City" ;)

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

I was disappointed to read on the BBC website this quote from Gilly;

"As far as ambitions go Norwich's are far beyond what Exeter's are."

That's why they have just got relegated then, obviously?

Thanks Gilly. You obviously haven't learned much about PT in your time here....

Last edited:

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't Gilly grow up in Norwich?

Pete - last year, Norwich sold 18,312 season tickets. If I were a Norwich fan, I'd be seriously disappointed if the club didn't have significantly greater ambitions than Exeter City.

That's not to say, of course, that they are more likely to fulfil these ambitions than Exeter City are to fulfil theirs...

Pete Martin (CTID)

Pete - last year, Norwich sold 18,312 season tickets. If I were a Norwich fan, I'd be seriously disappointed if the club didn't have significantly greater ambitions than Exeter City.
Yeah Jambo, that's at least 18,312 disappointed punters too! ;)

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
And, as I said on the other Gilly thread, Pete - it's clear from many of their fans' reactions to the signing of Gilly that they have yet to wake up to the reality of their current 'predicament'...

...'squad player/bench warmer' indeed ^o)

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
On top of Moxey going this is leaving some large holes in our midfield now,but can't wait to see how Tis is going to respond in the transfer market now.All this reminds of after the first Wembley match when Tis ripped out the whole spine of the team & replaced it with something better.I'm expecting him to do the same here.

Big Ted

On thing in Gunn's quote does puzzle me a little:

All the the sources I've been able to find have him quoted as born in CAMBRIDGE.

Now, I'm not a wizz at geography I'll admit, but even I know that Cambridge (& Peterborough, his first club) are NOT (quite) in Norfolk.

Perhaps Mr Gunn was misquoted, and what he ACTUALLY said was:
"he is desperate to pull out that yellow and green pay packet and do well from Norwich City" ;)

I remember just before Christmas when Gilly came to a Great Western Grecians meeting we asked which team he supported as a lad and he said "Norwich", so I guess this is a dream move for him. Good Luck to the lad!

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember just before Christmas when Gilly came to a Great Western Grecians meeting we asked which team he supported as a lad and he said "Norwich", so I guess this is a dream move for him. Good Luck to the lad!

Good luck to Gilly and I dont blame him especially if hes got a chance to play for the team he supported as a lad. Nobody should begrudge him of that.

Yorkie

Good luck to Gilly and I dont blame him especially if hes got a chance to play for the team he supported as a lad. Nobody should begrudge him of that.
Agree Rawz, good luck Gilly. [y]

Psychedelia Smith

Unfortunately folks City tried being ambitious with signings like Wes Hoolahan and David Bell but it ended up going hideously wrong thanks to Grim Roeder. Consequently we are no longer in a position to make big money signings so are having to settle with freebies. Personally I think that if you can get a decent player for nothing then that's a nifty bit of business, regardless of what league or club they're from. This is why I'm rather chuffed with the signing of Gill. [y]