• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Moved on, electorally I mean. IE. the willingness to punish the Tories at the ballot box.
They didn't punish but voted for them!

tavyred

They didn't punish but voted for them!
That’s my point.
IMO, the willingness of the electorate to punish BJ for austerity was a lot less than for TM.

DB9

Corbyn was a bigger factor, As voters were saying Johnson was the lesser of two evils

Legohead

Banned
So a few hundred people protested in London last night against Johnson's win, Apparently chanting "Defy Tory Rule" and "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" The Tory per say didn't vote in the Tories on their own it was millions, He had the best slogan which worked a treat and in the end he had no opposition, Corbyn and Swinson failed, Not only failed to win but have failed the very people who needed them. As for "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" At least we won't be hearing that again!!
That oh Jeremy corbyn song is the height of cringe. It's not a football match you morons!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
That oh Jeremy corbyn song
"Go, Jeremy Corbyn" sounds better.

Reactions: DB9

Banksy

Last time I voted Labour was before Blair decided to go to war , never since then , that lost my vote completely.

iscalad

Taxi for Jeremy

DB9

Last time I voted Labour was before Blair decided to go to war , never since then , that lost my vote completely.
That is an honourable thing to do and a lot did the same

arthur

art seems a tad grouchy this morning.

What to do ?
Afternoon Al,

I'm in recovery thanks. My main ire is with the Corbyn clique, my slight frustration is with Tavy's refusal to come out from behind his cliches. I cannot bring myself to watch or listen to any media outlet that has Johnson on it preening himself. Never has someone so undeserving won so much after having done so little. I trust the blessed Margaret and her protestant ethic are looking down from on high with profound disapproval..

arthur

Art.
As I said to you before, those are silly questions. The definitions of those things are obvious and out there for all to see. Why do I have to on your request, explain the obvious. If you think social conservatism or patriotism is bad, then explain why and then we’ll discuss it further.
Ok then, I'll have to argue with myself;

Question 1. What is patriotism?

Patriotism is, as I understand it, a feeling of pride in a place which is not necessarily dependent on how well or badly such a place behaves. Can we agree on that?

The question that then follows is which place you choose to be patriotic about. There are various significant places in everyone's life that can be chosen from to perform this role.

For example
My house
My district - Exwick/westexe
My city - Exeter
My County - Devon
My region - the South west of England
My nation - England
My state - the United Kingdom
My area of the world - Western Europe

Everyone is entitled to be as proud of/patriotic as many or few of these as they like. What gets me is why people are so fixated on one of these - "England" - which is a patchwork of all sorts of different areas, cultures and traditions or another "The UK/Britain" which has only been a nation state in its current form for fewer than 100 years. This is what I am asking you to explain..

BTW exactly the same argument can be applied when it comes to Brexit, the EU and sovereignty. As soon as you agree to obey the law you are surrendering sovereignty, though "pooling it inthe common interest" is a better phrase than "surrender". The only issue is where different levels of responsibility lie - Exeter City Council, Devon County Council, Westminster or Brussels. Again why single out Westminster as a special case, some things are best done at local level, some at regionally, some nationally and some internationally. The argument should be about what sits best where rather than fetishising one particular layer of government and "taking back control"...