• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back to the Labour Manifesto....

All of the big six Energy companies to be nationalised. That's on top of stuff like Royal Mail, BT & Water.

Back to the seventies folks! Don't tell Sid.

They're a bit too late to have re-nationalised Thomas Cook, but that would have been in there I'm sure.

tavyred

Another batch of Polls coming in yesterday now has the Tories pulling away in the poll of polls (to about 12%: 41 to 29).

Still waiting for this Corbyn bounce. Perhaps there's another people out there that hate rich people too. That might do it.
Another ipsos/Mori out this morning with the Tories on 44% and Labour 16 points behind on 28%.
Huge day for Labour with the manifesto launch, three weeks out you have to be thinking that if the bounce doesn’t happen soon then it may not happen to the extent that it did last time. I’ve still got my money on Corbyn getting creamed.

Mr Jinx

Another ipsos/Mori out this morning with the Tories on 44% and Labour 16 points behind on 28%.
Huge day for Labour with the manifesto launch, three weeks out you have to be thinking that if the bounce doesn’t happen soon then it may not happen to the extent that it did last time. I’ve still got my money on Corbyn getting creamed.
I think the main difference this time round is that most people have already made their mind up primarily due to Brexit. Leavers will go for Tories (or BXP). Ultra Remainers will go LD. Soft Remainers (or those that don't care) may go Labour.

Last time round once Labour said they'd honour the 2016 Referendum it was all about other stuff and so people waited for manifestos and promises like May's Granny house grabbing.

Banksy

How far ahead at this stage were the Tories in the 2017 election when Corbyn started to catch up on the final straight and May suffered a reduced majority? There’s many a slip.Personally I’m sick of Johnson’s old record scratching out Brexit again and again as if it was the only thing that matters in the world.

tavyred

How far ahead at this stage were the Tories in the 2017 election when Corbyn started to catch up on the final straight and May suffered a reduced majority? There’s many a slip.Personally I’m sick of Johnson’s old record scratching out Brexit again and again as if it was the only thing that matters in the world.
Good question.
From my recollection the Corbyn surge was fairly late on in 2017, which goes against my point that they need to get a move on I know. A few marked differences this time around though, there’s no insipid TM this time and BJ is a formidable campaigner in comparison. There’s a keenly felt Brexit anger borne out of the last 3 years of political stasis. Corbyn is no longer the unknown quantity and his popularity ratings are dire.

Mr Jinx

Labour manifesto: review of colonial legacy is flagship foreign policy pledge.

That's it. They've gone full loon now. At least it clears up any ambiguities.

tavyred

Interesting poll on the Westminster voting intention for the Labour held seat of Great Grimsby, the seat of Melanie Onn.
The Labour vote has collapsed and gone almost exclusively to the Brexit Party, thus letting in the Tories.

arthur

Interesting poll on the Westminster voting intention for the Labour held seat of Great Grimsby, the seat of Melanie Onn.
The Labour vote has collapsed and gone almost exclusively to the Brexit Party, thus letting in the Tories.
If that's true, Melanie Onn's pro Brexit stance has done her the world of good then. Maybe the same will happen to Caroline Flint...

elginCity

Remarkable how new and properly fitted specs can transform a tired old face.

Mr Jinx

Maybe the same will happen to Caroline Flint...
Maybe, but I reckon she'll cling on. Onn's a goner though. All too little too late from her and she only came round at the eleventh hour because she could see the P45 on the horizon.