• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It must help a little that we are 14th rather than 21st when trying to bring someone in. Players are shallow,.they may just look at the table and think I'll go there.
True, they don't want a relegation on their CV

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Been thinking about all these strikers that we have apparently been linked with, and one name that I haven't heard mentioned is Matty Stevens from Forest Green Rovers.

Still only 25 (about to turn 26 in February) and in the 2021-2022 season scored 27 goals and fired FGR to the title playing alongside Jack Aitchison. Last season was basically a write off for him due to him recovering from his ACL injury and he had a couple of loans at Walsall and Stevenage to get him back playing again. Now he's back fit and has 9 goals this season in a struggling FGR team.

I have no inside knowledge on this, but considering we apparently had a scout at FGR recently along I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at him. He fits the profile in terms of a striker that due to injury has maybe lost his way to some extent but still has potential. He is also out of contract at the end of the season I believe so probably a target that we could get if we offered some money.

Could be a slight risk due to the injury he suffered, but he does seem to be back to fitness now.

I guess all will be revealed by Thursday of this week!
Would be a good shout. Just not sure FGR are likely to give us reasonable value... Presumably they'll want to keep him and seem not to be short of money, so probably in a position to turn down offers.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Been thinking about all these strikers that we have apparently been linked with, and one name that I haven't heard mentioned is Matty Stevens from Forest Green Rovers.

Still only 25 (about to turn 26 in February) and in the 2021-2022 season scored 27 goals and fired FGR to the title playing alongside Jack Aitchison. Last season was basically a write off for him due to him recovering from his ACL injury and he had a couple of loans at Walsall and Stevenage to get him back playing again. Now he's back fit and has 9 goals this season in a struggling FGR team.

I have no inside knowledge on this, but considering we apparently had a scout at FGR recently along I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at him. He fits the profile in terms of a striker that due to injury has maybe lost his way to some extent but still has potential. He is also out of contract at the end of the season I believe so probably a target that we could get if we offered some money.

Could be a slight risk due to the injury he suffered, but he does seem to be back to fitness now.

I guess all will be revealed by Thursday of this week!
Stevens has crossed my mind too. The only thing is that Cotterell would be mental to let his best striker leave when they desperately need points. But as you say, if we put a sizeable bid on the table they may be tempted.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
3 days to go 😀 “we will definitely sign a striker or 2”….

pull the other other Gary lad.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
3 days to go 😀 “we will definitely sign a striker or 2”….

pull the other other Gary lad.
Four days. If we don’t it’ll get spicy on here.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Four days. If we don’t it’ll get spicy on here.
I think the board are well aware that if they don't come through with at least one forward after their statement's of backing Gary in January there will be huge unrest and rightly so!!

Hopefully the additions this week will help us build on the positive momentum we have started to gain since Christmas.

manc grecian

Mo Eisa still not getting a game at mk dons

tom_ecfc

I have no inside knowledge on this, but considering we apparently had a scout at FGR recently along I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at him.
David Earl said he went along to ‘mark/scout’ Odoh from Harrogate as he keeps mentioning him on the MNFC podcast. Could that be all smoke and mirrors and Snr Beer was actually scouting Stevens? 🤔 Like you say, all will be revealed on Thursday…

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
David Earl said he went along to ‘mark/scout’ Odoh from Harrogate as he keeps mentioning him on the MNFC podcast. Could that be all smoke and mirrors and Snr Beer was actually scouting Stevens? 🤔 Like you say, all will be revealed on Thursday…
He was joking about Odoh. But he did say that he was invited to go along to see what the job of a scout was like. So David was there with Julen Beer and there was an Exeter scout there watching the game. Again, I could certainly be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but I do think there could be some interest from us in Stevens.

Like you also said, we will know soon enough.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was joking about Odoh. But he did say that he was invited to go along to see what the job of a scout was like. So David was there with Julen Beer and there was an Exeter scout there watching the game. Again, I could certainly be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but I do think there could be some interest from us in Stevens.

Like you also said, we will know soon enough.
I'm sure Stevens would be just the type of mobile striker gary feels would fit into our team. However, (a I cant see Fgr selling their only chance of getting out of the mire and B) i cant see us spending 300k on a player that would be available on a free in the summer. FgR aren't going to let him go for less than that kind of money when relegation to the conference would cost them way more