• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Free Public Transport for All

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Their salaries were frozen for a time, and IIRC the cabinet took a pay cut.
But they have gone up £11.5k in the last 8 years, when other public sector workers were limited to a 1% cap.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
But they have gone up £11.5k in the last 8 years, when other public sector workers were limited to a 1% cap.
Just as a further aside, MP salaries are set by an independent body - they no longer have any say on the issue. The overwhelming bulk of that increase took place in 2015 and I believe there was a reason for this (I can't remember what it was now).

MPs remain ridiculously underpaid in any case.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Yeah uh even as a big leftie I don't have a problem with MP's pay. As always, it shouldn't be a race to the bottom.

(expenses claims and nepotism and being in the pocket of lobbyists/businesses, there's something more juicy to discuss one day :p )

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just as a further aside, MP salaries are set by an independent body - they no longer have any say on the issue. The overwhelming bulk of that increase took place in 2015 and I believe there was a reason for this (I can't remember what it was now).

Again, a very subjective conclusion. It will depend on each MP and his attendance rate at voting times, the time he dedicates to his constituents, his ability to effect change et al. I'm sure some are worth more and some less.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Too right, Hampshire. Just imagine the top deck choc full of City faithful ! :D

Would be worth travelling on to St Thomas just to do the full journey back up through town. Unless it's raining.

Last edited:

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
They used to run football buses, but I don't know about trams!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
They used to run football buses, but I don't know about trams!
I've seen pictures (on Exeter Memories FB page) of trains at St Thomas on Christmas Day waiting to take fans to the football.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Grandad and I used to catch a football bus in Commercial Road, just around the corner fron Exe Bridge.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Exeter City Corporation green and cream football special buses used to be lined up in Blackboy Road after the match.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm talking about perception. Ditto changes to inheritance tax and the top rate of income tax. Both good for me, meaningless to the poorest in society, who seemingly are the ones most affected by cuts.