• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

France

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Terrible mess indeed, on the one hand you have young people who have grown up in poverty, who have nothing, and minimal education, who have witnessed war in their own countries their whole lives, probably seen family members killed, who have nothing to look forward to and no sense of worth or belonging, being deliberately targeted by evil people who manipulate and indoctrinate them and give them a sense of belonging and worth, albeit warped, and these people are the immediate and present danger. No shortage of people like this though, and having to focus on them will probably not make a jot of difference whilst the environment they grow up in stays the same, and the manipulators stay safe hidden in their safe havens. Terrible really, and I truly hope Europe doesn't have to change its culture and values to deal with this, but not sure what the alternatives are if it keeps happening

Alistair20000

Just a terrible mess, how do you fight against people that are prepared to die?

We can blame (Blair/Bush and the pointless war in Iraq comes to mind) but there's now no one to fight, no one to negotiate with and nobody to trust.
It is very difficult to deal with nutters who do not want to negotiate and do not value human life; including their own.

What happened in Paris will be nothing when these people achieve the capability to explode a dirty nuclear device or release deadly germs etc.

The starting point must be to cut off the head of the organisation, exterminate its leaders and destroy its training grounds; and then keep doing that on a continuing basis.

Last edited:

angelic upstart

I was simply replying to Tavy's post about concentrating on our own "internal security". Please explain to me how you can do that when EU Schengen dictates that we have to let anyone with an EU passport into the country? The EU's borders are currently as porous as a sieve. Unless the EU get its act together, Brexit is the only way to beef up our internal security. I'd rather that than allow this snoopers charter bunkum.
Yes, but the perpetrators are French or Belgian. Barring not letting anyone in or out of the U.K. It simply wouldn't work. Brexit or no brexit.

The damage is done already. Incidentally, I agree with Tavy. Let's just look after ourselves.

What happened in Paris will be nothing when these people achieve the capability to explode a dirty nuclear device
How many of us can you squeeze into your wine cellar Al?

Alistair20000

How many of us can you squeeze into your wine cellar Al?
Depends on the measurements isn't it.

tavyred

This is basically an internecine conflict between two strains of Islam, it's been there for generations and unfortunately for us and them the hapless Bush opened up the age old wounds when he went rogue in Iraq a few years back. It won't be solved until the real power brokers in the region, Saudi Arabia and Iran decide to sort it. Until then, we need to batten down the hatches and encourage the nuggets in this country who seem intent on involving themselves in the conflict to desist. Europe's been there as regards the mass murder of its civilians, the Middle East will tire of it eventually, just as we did.

Mr Jinx

France has just started bombing Isis held Syria with "increased intensification".

This is indeed now war.

IBA

France has just started bombing Isis held Syria with "increased intensification".

This is indeed now war.
increased bombing will lead to more being killed and lead to more radicalisation ,
which will lead to more terrorist attacks which will lead to more bombing....

manc grecian

increased bombing will lead to more being killed and lead to more radicalisation ,
which will lead to more terrorist attacks which will lead to more bombing....
Indeed. Unless they can reach an agreement with Assad and the Russians then bombing the fook out of them from the sky is only going to exacerbate the problems.

Equals more civilian casualties.

I'd be 'radicalised' too if some unseen enemy was indiscriminately bombing my neighbourhood with superior technology and firepower. 'The West' is starting to look like the bad guy here.