• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fleetwood fan in peace

JUANTAYLOS

Greetings Grecians (y) Fleetwood fan here, making the long trip to your place for Saturday's game and making a weekend of it. Can anyone recommend decent pubs showing Premiership footy Saturday dinner and teatime? Also, any decent pubs/bars in the city centre worth a visit?

Cheers

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You might want to peruse our ground guide - http://www.exeweb.com/2012/05/29/the-things-you-need-to-know-st-james-park-exeter/

The social club in the St James Centre is friendly and welcoming to away fans.

JUANTAYLOS

You might want to peruse our ground guide - http://www.exeweb.com/2012/05/29/the-things-you-need-to-know-st-james-park-exeter/

The social club in the St James Centre is friendly and welcoming to away fans.
Cheers for that (y), a few good suggestions on there. :)

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like Hants said "The social club in the St James Centre is friendly and welcoming to away fans"

However, it is nothing like the bar at your ground which I must say is the best social club I have ever visited as an away fan.

scottus86

Greetings Grecians (y) Fleetwood fan here, making the long trip to your place for Saturday's game and making a weekend of it. Can anyone recommend decent pubs showing Premiership footy Saturday dinner and teatime? Also, any decent pubs/bars in the city centre worth a visit?

Cheers
The Black Horse was always a good shout for premiership footy, plus its about 15 minutes from the ground and that's if you walk very slowly. Apart from Henrys bar and the social club at the stadium it;s the only place that had football near the stadium I think but, Henrys isn't really suitable for away fans. I haven't lived in Exeter for over a year though so it may have changed.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its only about a 20 minute direct walk from the ground to the City Centre, where all the nice shops are, plus the Cathedral, Guildhall, underground passages, and other touristy attractions. IMHO the pubs are of a better caliber in that area too. I think the Wetherspoons (Chevalier) at the top of Fore Street is to be avoided, apart from that the rest, particularly The Ship Inn, where Sir Francis Drake used to hang out, is nice.

Theres some grotty pubs on the above Ground Guide, but our Social Club is excellent, and right next to the ground. Keep Jimmy Giles supplied with beer, and he'll natter to you indefinitely, about the good old days, when he played etc. You wouldnt want to spend a weekend based there though!

Fareham Grecian

Its only about a 20 minute direct walk from the ground to the City Centre, where all the nice shops are, plus the Cathedral, Guildhall, underground passages, and other touristy attractions. IMHO the pubs are of a better caliber in that area too. I think the Wetherspoons (Chevalier) at the top of Fore Street is to be avoided, apart from that the rest, particularly The Ship Inn, where Sir Francis Drake used to hang out, is nice.

Theres some grotty pubs on the above Ground Guide, but our Social Club is excellent, and right next to the ground. Keep Jimmy Giles supplied with beer, and he'll natter to you indefinitely, about the good old days, when he played etc. You wouldnt want to spend a weekend based there though!
Ignore Pate, as you will notice from his profile he lives in the US and so knows **** all about modern Exeter. The ground guide is solid, and the Ship is an awful pub.

The Black Horse is ok for sport but it is Greene King.

Last edited:

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't go in the Vic. It's a nice pub but there's often a weird scotch fella in there.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Use the SJP pub. God knows we need any extra cash in the coffers

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Don't go in the Vic. It's a nice pub but there's often a weird scotch fella in there.
Is that the weird guy who once produced a really good pub tour on here from St Davids to St James Park?