• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FGR (Vegans) Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

ryancooper327

I don’t want to raise a negative on yesterday as it was an incredible outing by all but Williams was very frustrating yesterday. I lost count of the times he failed to beat his man/looked sluggish. Maybe a games rest would do him well.

I did like the look of Shepherd, their RWB. When Williams gets snapped up I’d happily take him as a replacement!

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
No deflection: Atangana's shot was firm and true.
Agreed, there were defenders between Nige and the keeper, who i suspect was unsighted, hence no reaction.

Looked like a dive by their player for the penalty, but can't be sure.
He was certainly looking for it and his dive rivalled one of Steve the Weave's, but he did find contact with Aaron's boot too.

Atangana's red was harsh. Don't think he went in to hurt the opponent, who in fact was indeed not hurt. Yellow.
I missed this at the time but it looks like a red on the highlights. I'm not sure saying that the opponent's foot was also high is much of a defence.

A shame not to see Archie's run on the highlights - it was too far away for me to see clearly if that was a dive or not.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I initially thought it was a sending off however having reviewed in slo-mo it shouldn't have been both players making the same challenge just the vegan got there slightly first and then rolled around a bit for effect. Likewise the penalty very soft the Vegan had lost the opportunity when he played it to the side, Martin's foot was trailing so down he goes.

I have seen the extended highlights on the vegans site but unfortunately they don't show Archie's incident, which is just as well as would probably have me going off about inconsistent referees.

simcity

Thought Nigel's red was a definite red card from where i was stood on the terrace. He was late and missed the ball then made contact with the guys leg pretty close to the knee so not sure what the complaints were for.

But all in all a great result and Maxted was different gravy (not vegan) in goal!

arthur

I don’t want to raise a negative on yesterday as it was an incredible outing by all but Williams was very frustrating yesterday. I lost count of the times he failed to beat his man/looked sluggish. Maybe a games rest would do him well.

I did like the look of Shepherd, their RWB. When Williams gets snapped up I’d happily take him as a replacement!
I was wondering what Harris would have thought when we went 4 4 1 with Lee Martin on the left and Williams on the right. I also remember the days when wide players used to swap sides for short periods, just to mix things up a bit.

And on the subject of formations, during the warm up Sweeney, Martin, Parkes, and Richardson had a little session together suggesting that they were a back 4 in all but name. Someone said a couple of games ago that we have a "lopsided" 3 5 1, with the then Sparks further back than Williams. Before the sending off yesterday you could also describe this as a 4 3 (Collins Antagana Law) 3 (Martin Bowman Williams)

Not that any of this matters of course...

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
This Exeter team is so much stronger, braver, and more resilient than any I can remember in the last 10 years. Love it.
I was a fan of Paul Tisdale but there is no doubt that this is one of the key qualities added by Matt Taylor. He is shaping up to be one of our best managers in history. There's nothing not to love.

muppetdodger

Thought Nigel's red was a definite red card from where i was stood on the terrace. He was late and missed the ball then made contact with the guys leg pretty close to the knee so not sure what the complaints were for.

But all in all a great result and Maxted was different gravy (not vegan) in goal!
Definite red, I don't know why people are really questioning it. Maxted did very well some first class top drawer saves, however, and I know I'll be slated for it, he lived a charmed life. His catching/punching choices were bizarre at times and had FGR been a bit more clinical they could have had a hatful. For example Maxted made a great save at one point but put the ball back to the FGR player on the centre spot who put it wide. Great performance from him with superb defensive back up but it wasn't a perfect performance from maxted. Her to be rained on with criticism!!

did anyone else notice Martin telling Maxted which way to dive just before the kick was taken. He was making definite dive left signals.

Red Devon

Cooper post match interview yesterday saying he’s been there best player so far this season words to that effect anyway and forgave him the penalty miss.

robchave

Whilst it was a brilliant defensive performance from City, you can see why FGR haven't scored many goals this season! If things had been the other way round, our forwards would be getting a slaying for some of the opportunities they missed!
But that's L2 football. Great 3 pts to start the new year with.
UTC

IndoMike

I was a fan of Paul Tisdale but there is no doubt that this is one of the key qualities added by Matt Taylor. He is shaping up to be one of our best managers in history. There's nothing not to love.
There's no carp with Matt. It's not all about him.