• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FGR v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stuffy wake up!

Tis and City have been "Sandbagging" all preseason!!!
Bless you Red, the eternal optimist:)

dan harvey

not read any of the thread, 1 jonah was man of the match ,our n/b 9 (not stan)5 chances in first half (very quick) tully all smiles ,seabourne and tailor solled,bertie he waved to marge(to be honest getting better)sercombe plaid well'edwrds ok (but getting a bit slower)harley ok(but should look to shoot more)our nb 12 i did not think alot off (maybe earlie days)

ecfc2000

The hot knife through butter being called Fabian Delph.
If he hasn't gone to either Man City or Everton by then. Here's hoping.

Kingsman

I wander if Tis plays Harley and Sercombe wide as they are the most creative players thus forcing him into playing the likes of Russell and Edwards in the middle. Most managers buy players to fit the system they are going to play, we seem to have bought nearly all centre of midfield players. Thus Tis is, as he says. working on a side full of versatility or doesnt know what systems he's going to play, couldnt get the players he wanted, or didnt know what players he wanted. I start to worry when the manager says we might take a few "tonkings" on the way this season, I bet the players feel better after reading that.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Even if you play Harley and Sercombe wide for creativity why play two players whose combind age would mean they've been drawing a pension for the last seven years in the middle. One for an experience head I can understand but two when neither of them are particularly mobile and you're going to be coming up against players such as the aforementioned Delph is suicidle. Get Manny in there, get Bertie in there, get Nelly in there. Tis, you're going to need legs in there as much, if not more, than you'll need an old head (or two in this case).

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm hoping this new fella (Dunne is it?) can step up an fill the void Gill has left. If not, I've got a bit of an angsty feeling about the coming season tbh. I don't think Sercs, Harley or Saunders can and certainly not Edwards or Russell. Hoping I'm wrong of course.

Yeovilgrecian

Tis will play the same formation at Leeds as he did against Forest Green 4 1 4 1. Edwards will play in front of the two centre backs as cover as he did yesterday and Russell will start.

Last edited:

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tis will play the same formation at Leeds as he did against Forest Green 4 1 4 1. Edwards will play in front of the two centre backs as cover as he did yesterday and Russell will start.
were going to get murdered then :$

Well-known Exeweb poster
WHY? Yes granted we will not have the experience of L1 like alot of the other teams, but what we have is a team and manager that arent used to losing. im not stupid enough to know that it wont be a bed of roses, but what i do know is that PSF dont always mean a great deal when it comes to the rough and tough battle of league football. Dont forget TIS has NEVER let us down yet!
What weve been used to in the last two/ 3 seasons is, roughly a third /half of the teams weve played are capable of pushing us. the rest to be, in all fairness you would have given the odds well in our favour of us winning . I know a winning mentality is undeniably important. But that mentllity can v quickly disappear..we have to be realistic we now are one of the teams that the bigger boys will be looking to take 3 points off. so the total reverse scenario of what weve been used to. And the other biggie is, exactly how many of our squad are actually up to the step up? ive got my doubts about ,probably, half. But the ace up our sleeve, our manager seems again to have a decent handle on it. Time will tell!

Last edited:

grecianstew

were going to get murdered then :$
You may well be right, but why the "embarrassed" smiley?
Lets get things in perspective, if we do get "murdered" next week it will be by Leeds, you know League champions many times (the 4th most recent winners i believe),Prremier League top 4 and then Champions League semi finalists just a few years ago and we will be in a world class stadium with 25,000 ish there.
The manager is right, we will get some tonkings this year, as we did last year and the year before. If we do get stuffed by Leeds away, remember just 3 years ago we were being stuffed at home by Northwich and Canvey Island, destroyed by Weymouth and less than 12 months ago were being humiliated on our own patch by Chesterfield.
The worst may well happen this Saturday, but if it does lets not get all hysterical about it and claim that if the manager had picked different players everything would have been so different. Be proud we were in a position to be "murdered" by such an illustrious club.