• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

favourite away ground and

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Same for me.

When many had lost hope and we didn't sell our away allocation (because it was too far to travel on a Tuesday night) it must rank as the best ever real City atmosphere. Singing from start to finish.

Better than Old Trafford and for me better than Torquay, even better than City winning 3 nil at the Scum.
I was there, loved it. On a par with Plainmoor for me. Both blow Old Trafford out the water, and I was too young and idiotic to be trrusted with a Devon derby at that time - a game I will always wish I was there for because Argy*le are scum and I hate them....

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for the Vetch reference Ian. (Although I wish I lived in "a sh!thole" like this...) :)

Like Antony, I'm really stuggling to pick a favourite. From our Conf years Crawley was a lucky ground and always a fun day trip from London. From our League days, the old St Andrews at night (we drew in Div 3 and won in the League Cup) was very atmospheric.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
even better than City winning 3 nil at the Scum.
There's not many better feelings than winning down there. It's funny but I can't remember if I looked forward to those games or dreaded them - of course you wanted to get one over your rivals, but at the same time it was unlikely that you'd ever find a more hostile atmosphere anywhere else. Well Swansea was a bit hairy once or twice, as was Hull after we won 2-1 there. Argyle away - hmm, something every City fan needs to experience, hopefully it won't be too long in coming round again.

Oldsmobile-88

There's not many better feelings than winning down there. It's funny but I can't remember if I looked forward to those games or dreaded them - of course you wanted to get one over your rivals, but at the same time it was unlikely that you'd ever find a more hostile atmosphere anywhere else. Well Swansea was a bit hairy once or twice, as was Hull after we won 2-1 there.
With the possible exception of a visit to Home Park(always intresting after the game on that path,behind the Lyndhurst stand)..I feel the days of the nasty hostile enviroment has gone now,everything is well policed or stewarded now..Not that i'm complaining about it!...

A surreal visit to Molineux with the Grecians,around 1986,was a ground that was only open on two sides after the old grandstands were closed after the Bradford fire..The 80 odd Grecians were in one half of the South Bank,a huge terrace.On the other side of the fence were 4000 Wanderers followers..a great atmoshere especially,when we nicked a draw in the last few minutes....That was a grand old ground,in terminal decline(with the exception of a huge new grandstand,that nearly broke the club)

Last edited:
Living near Dursley, Working in Cheltenham
the only one i've been to..... gigg lane! And a memory i will always cherish!!

got to be gigg lane. the atmoshphere is amazing and it echos all around the stadium.the home fans are quite so it makes it even better for us. it was also thefirst away game i went to ( last year fa cup) and since then i have not missed to many away games.so thats why, for me , its got to be gigg lane

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was at that Molineux game, Olds - aged 14 or so.

Was it Andy Watson who got our equaliser?

PS: The last time I went to Gargoyle (night game, I forget which one) I walked from ground via car park and a pub to railway station in my City shirt, and nobody said a word. Very odd.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

I was at that Molineux game, Olds - aged 14 or so.

Was it Andy Watson who got our equaliser?

PS: The last time I went to Gargoyle (night game, I forget which one) I walked from ground via car park and a pub to railway station in my City shirt, and nobody said a word. Very odd.
It was Kells who got the equalizer.......I think Andy Watson got sent off..Incidently that game was Shaun Taylor's debut

Last edited:

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's three City legends for you there, eh? Tony Kellow. Shaun Taylor. Andy Watson... :)

PS: I have belatedly edited in a smiley just in case. Don't want to be winning wooshes this late on a Sunday night. Not fair at all.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

There's three City legends for you there, eh? Tony Kellow. Shaun Taylor. Andy Watson... :)

PS: I have belatedly edited in a smiley just in case. Don't want to be winning wooshes this late on a Sunday night. Not fair at all.
Andy Watson was immaculate in defence & was instrumental in that good start we had that season(OK most were draws)....He was never the same player after he came back from suspension.....I had forgotten all about him,until you mentioned him Al...