• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fans Forum 28 November

Rachmaninov

Looking forwards now, what is the next step? The notice period should have been triggered, and if not the trust should be made aware of that. It may well be that the trust is aware but if the members aren't kept up to date then imo it's not good enough. So is there a procedural way to force answers, or do we need a big demonstration?

There has been talk as far back as before Plymouth about protesting. People have said don't do it as it will harm the home form, they have said that once the injured are back we will pick up. Since then we have played six home league games, scored twice and picked up two points, plus losing at home in the fa cup. How much damage could we have really done? Will we be sat in another couple of months without things improving, still trying to decide whether to take action?

The evasion and excuses are laughable. Apparently when we struggle at home despite have a good squad and Tisdale having enough money to be competitive we can't compete with money spent by other sides, but we are able to compete enough to win six out of ten aways? Doesn't really add up. It's the fault of the injuries, the ref, the fans make the players nervous? If the players believe that it's hardly likely to improve, and gives them a built in excuse. Even in recent times I have seen us beat Orient 4-0,port vale 2-0 and nearly beat an inexperienced Liverpool in the fa cup. In the last two of those games the atmosphere was brilliant, that has largely been lost now which is so sad.

I don't doubt that owners of other clubs put in larger sums of money and are willing to run up debts, however we get better crowds than numerous other clubs and we have earned 3m in players sales and cup runs. It's just excuses, and any truth mixed in with it should tell them that they need to either change or improve the model to increase our income. Stop paying such high wages for the powers that be, look at how much we are paying for coaches, older players and injury prone ones. Look at the commercial performance and build goodwill to save money by using the skills of the trust members and raise money by putting on different kinds of events. Try to grow the membership or make those members want to contribute more. But don't just moan that we are at a disadvantage so that no one is accountable.

Our away form is impressive and hopefully we will beat our record this season, but would any action had been taken had it not been so or if it nosedives later in the season? Will action be taken if we go another five home games without winning? As much as I would like to see us in league one, let's make the most of what we have in this division and make people want to actually put themselves out to come to our matches ffs.
'Fans making the players nervous' was, to be fair, I believe, quoted by an attendee rather than Tagg or Weiler. Therein lies a major problem for those of us who believe that things simply aren't good enough at the moment on many fronts: a sizeable hardcore of trust members and fans in general seem to believe that, whilst not perfect, we wont do any better than our current manager or management structure. I've been witness to any vocal criticism at games (directed at the manager) being shouted down in the stands from some quarters. A post on the supporters Facebook page last week, in support of Tisdale, received a large number of 'likes' in a short space of time. Tisdale also claims to have received a large number of letters and emails in support of him. Are we the vocal minority?

Terryhall

To highlight further how ridiculous it is to suggest we cannot compete with the teams around us, AFC Wimbledon are currently 7th in League One - lest we forget this is a club with a stadium capacity of just 4,800 and with the same lack of wealthy benefactor - they have also not had any windfall millions from player sales or FA cup runs in the last 18 months, as we have. Can we please have less excuses and more football management from our football manager?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
To highlight further how ridiculous it is to suggest we cannot compete with the teams around us, AFC Wimbledon are currently 7th in League One - lest we forget this is a club with a stadium capacity of just 4,800 and with the same lack of wealthy benefactor - they have also not had any windfall millions from player sales or FA cup runs in the last 18 months, as we have. Can we please have less excuses and more football management from our football manager?
A bit of an imperfect comparison I know but I seem to recall our beating Grimsby, Doncaster and taking Man Utd to a replay in our early Conference days. The team at Old Trafford included, amongst others, the likes of (an 18 year old) Paul Jones, SantosGaia, Alex Jeannin, Marcus Martin, Danny Clay, Kwame Ampadu, Andy Taylor, (a very young) Dean Moxey, Steve Flack and Les Afful.

Probably most of our squad at that time, with many on relatively low wages and the club on its uppers. It wasn't money, it wasn't (in the main) expensive players, it was sheer grit and determination.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Actually Wimbledon do have one or two wealthy individuals who contribute substantially towards individual wages via their Trust, one was paying the wages of Matt Tubbs while he was there, reportedly on a salary that if given to our manager would represent a healthy pay increase.

eurogrecian

a sizeable hardcore of trust members and fans in general seem to believe that, whilst not perfect, we wont do any better than our current manager or management structure
The evidence (crowds, Trust election results) indicates that - whether you agree or not - this might just be the case.
It remains to be seen whether this continues to be so if our home performances do not improve, because many fans are not able to enjoy our great away form.

Terryhall

Actually Wimbledon do have one or two wealthy individuals who contribute substantially towards individual wages via their Trust, one was paying the wages of Matt Tubbs while he was there, reportedly on a salary that if given to our manager would represent a healthy pay increase.
Have to confess I wasn't aware of that and in the interest of balance, point noted. That said, they are still clearly not in the same financial league as (for example) Bolton, Charlton, MK Dons, Northampton...

I just find it deplorable that the current incumbents at the head of the club roll out that same tired line that we cannot compete financially and expect that to be accepted as a justification for mediocrity. We are objectively not as well off as some clubs - therefore it is the duty of those in charge to make sure that we make the absolute best use of what assets we do have. Peddling this as an excuse ought to be a double edged sword that (so far) does not seem to have been widely taken up as such.

MarkLee

A much better transcript of some of last night's Q&As now up on the Express and Echo website:

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/the-key-points-and-quotes-from-the-exeter-city-supporters-trust-forum/story-29943400-detail/story.html#E55dRYQ1htcME7Q8.99

With regard to the 'financial constraints' excuse, that's exactly why I worded my question about our terrible home form the way I did. We may well be at a financial disadvantage compared to many clubs in League 2, but everyone who attends our home matches has been able to see that there are a whole host of poor managerial decisions that significantly contribute, over and over again, to our inability to win (or score) at home.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I can't read that rubbish.

Julian Tagg IMO is deluded

So many yes men , so much back patting , so little ambition

All the boxes add ticked apparently & league 2 home form doesn't matter apparently - a the biggest joke? That people staying away and not going to watch is there decision and the club are not bothered ?

Walk away Tagg & take Tisdale with you

Fuming.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Can I just add as well - the suggestion that the fans are making the players nervous ?

This for me sums up how it's all gone - we've lost all reality of what the game actually is

Yes it's a game , it's 11 blokes kicking a ball into a net - everyone seems to have forgotten the importance of that

If a player feels nervous having a shot he shouldn't be out there it's that simple

Have to confess I wasn't aware of that and in the interest of balance, point noted. That said, they are still clearly not in the same financial league as (for example) Bolton, Charlton, MK Dons, Northampton...

I just find it deplorable that the current incumbents at the head of the club roll out that same tired line that we cannot compete financially and expect that to be accepted as a justification for mediocrity. We are objectively not as well off as some clubs - therefore it is the duty of those in charge to make sure that we make the absolute best use of what assets we do have. Peddling this as an excuse ought to be a double edged sword that (so far) does not seem to have been widely taken up as such.
what is truly deplorable is that those same incumbents whilst pleading poverty means we cant compete financially for players, pay themselves over double the average remuneration for managers at this level.

its clearly not results related - apart from results 5 years ago

its a completely ludicrous situation which reeks of the worst management practice - it cannot be possibly justified