• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fans Forum 28 November

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
If a player feels nervous having a shot he shouldn't be out there it's that simple
Completely agree Creds. I'm sure they're paid handsomely enough for the privilege of representing our club, the least they can do is perform their roles to the best of their ability.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I do so love the amateur psychologists on here dismissing the impact of nerves in the professional sport context.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
If there is a sizable amount of people who still believe in the current management then you have to congratulate Tisdale and Tagg on the job they've done. Relegated from League One.... can't compete with our crowds and structure. Struggle in league two....can't compete with other clubs...in this division, and wait for it the division below.

I suppose if you tell people often enough that we are ****e then people some people will be stupid enough to believe it.

There is a complete lack of ambition and the club is run by people who make **** weak excuses to hide their laziness and complacency.

Not only that but they speak to fans like they are thick.

I do so love the amateur psychologists on here dismissing the impact of nerves in the professional sport context.
Come on Jason just try and see sense for once and stop defending the club, players, management for once.

A player is not worrying about the crowd reaction when he is through on goal.

Lets just pretend for one second that this is the case. Do you really think the partizan hostile nature of SJP and it's terrifying fans would be full of fear? Come on lets get real a little.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
5yrs, numerous sets of players all of whom are unfortunate to be of a nervous disposition. Christ we're unlucky.

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Just like we love you playing devil's advocate Jase.

DanceMagnet

... and what makes you the expert?

VOR

Pathetic comment if that is meant to be defence of the manager. He has brought all those players here and is paid to deal with issue of nerves and how they affect performance. Were they nervous against Liverpool when live on national television? For the rubbish served up over the past 5 seasons the crowd has remained incredibly loyal and patient. I'm fed up with being blamed for buying a season ticket, turning up and "affecting" the players. I wont make the same mistake next season if Tisdale still in charge

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Do you really think the partizan hostile nature of SJP and it's terrifying fans would be full of fear? Come on lets get real a little.
Not really, no, but the "fear" can clearly impact on someone's thinking if you have got into a rut, as City have as far as playing at home appears to be concerned. The fear of making an error is more likely to lead to an error.

I can only go by a solitary home appearance this season, but it played out in microcosm there. We started quite brightly in that match (Cambridge) but then a couple of moments of madness from Pym led to us going a goal down. You could see the confidence evaporate and we treated the ball like it was a hand grenade for most of the match, quickly conceding a second and not looking remotely like scoring until one sweeping move led to us pulling one back. It was awful to watch, there was no lack of effort but rather a lack of conviction, a lack of belief in one's own ability.

Confidence IS a massive factor especially at our level. Back in 13/14 I remember us going up to York. We were blatantly the better side that day but, buoyed by already being unbeaten in their last four, York scraped a win in what was at the time a borderline relegation six pointer. York's confidence grew, and they ended up going the rest of the regular season unbeaten, ending up in the playoffs. The following season, with largely the same squad and the same manager, they started poorly, winning once in the league until November. Had they become a bad side overnight? No, merely had to start afresh with that accumulated confidence having been wiped out as everyone starts from scratch.

It transcends all sports - did Bernhard Langer suddenly become a bad golfer when he missed a straightforward putt in the Ryder Cup? Was Roberto Baggio a bad player when he missed the decisive penalty in the World Cup? Was Steve Harmison a bad bowler when he delivered the first ball in an Ashes series to second slip? When Tom Daley flunked his qualifying dive in the Olympics, had he become a bad diver?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Pathetic comment if that is meant to be defence of the manager.
It's not meant as a defence of the manager, I don't know where I suggested otherwise.

Maybe instead of Carlisle we should have invested in a behavioural psychologist.