• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter Vs Sunderland U23s PL Cup match day thread

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ben Seymour looks to have ability in abundance.
Ben Seymour looks the business.
He really did look good once he came on. Not the biggest of players but he seems to be scoring goals on loan this season and he looked really sharp today.

Thought we played really well with a makeshift team. Was most impressed with Hartridge and Will Dean at centre half who stopped Sunderland having any real clear cut chances. Byrne and Collins did well filling in at full back and Ryan Loft looked promising. He's deceptively quite quick. Would like to see him starting to make the bench as he looked effective.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Absolutely immense result and outcome. Only one over age player (Brunt) who was off the pitch by the time we started scoring. Their over-age player Rodwell, has twice been transferred for £10m or more!

Reports please!
Indeed Andrew (y)(y)(y)

And, from the (unusally) excellent Devon Live match report referenced by Mr Wilkie

The Black Cats had 41 international caps in their side and over 200 Premier League appearances, with the likes of Jack Rodwell, Paddy McNair, Jonny Williams, Lynden Gooch and Brendan Galloway all starting.
So not too shabby a performance AT ALL by OUR young'uns then...especially with a "depleted" squad due to the League game yesterday

However this season ends up, even more hope for the future???

(Although shame on City ....fielding a "weakened team"...it really demeans these cup competitions nowadays)

Last edited:

jrg333

The Black Cats had 41 international caps in their side and over 200 Premier League appearances, with the likes of Jack Rodwell, Paddy McNair, Jonny Williams, Lynden Gooch and Brendan Galloway all starting.
Rodwell really ought to be ashamed of himself. He's on £70,000 a week! Got to be more than our entire playing budget combined. Not sure I could look home fans in the eyes knowing I was earning more than double most of their salaries in 7 days just for sitting on my arse and playing half-heartedly for the reserve side. I hope for his sake he's got a decent accountant.

Still, great result for the U23s. Hope to see more of Loft before the end of the season.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rodwell really ought to be ashamed of himself. He's on £70,000 a week! Got to be more than our entire playing budget combined.
If true, more than double our playing budget combined.

manc grecian

Rodwell really ought to be ashamed of himself. He's on £70,000 a week! Got to be more than our entire playing budget combined. Not sure I could look home fans in the eyes knowing I was earning more than double most of their salaries in 7 days just for sitting on my arse and playing half-heartedly for the reserve side. I hope for his sake he's got a decent accountant.

Still, great result for the U23s. Hope to see more of Loft before the end of the season.
Makes me laugh this. Sure everyone negotiates lower wages for themselves regardless of their jobs

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Absolutely immense result and outcome. Only one over age player (Brunt) who was off the pitch by the time we started scoring. Their over-age player Rodwell, has twice been transferred for £10m or more!

Reports please!
Wasn't one of our goal scorers a Tottenham player ? Before everyone over reacts as normal

Poundstretcher

Wasn't one of our goal scorers a Tottenham player ? Before everyone over reacts as normal
Weren’t the rest of the side Academy products, most of whom haven’t been near the first team, up against several full internationals with PL experience? We were comfortable winners today - against the odds on paper - and I hardly think that one loan player, short of match fitness, should be the post game focus...

Colesman Ballz

My fingers have just recovered enough from the freezing cold at SJP to post. However it was a really heart warming performance from the youngsters. On a heavy pitch, their high tempo game oozed class, as they competed for every ball, both aerially and with full blooded committed challenges all over the pitch. It was a joy to be behold, I only wish the first team could turn in such performances on a regular basis !

It was good to see Brunt in action, and his performance showed a touch of class, albeit if a trifle "ring rusty", and bodes well for the future. Loft had a good game, and is surprising quick and mobile for a guy of his height. He was very unlucky in the first half to see his effort come back off the inside post, and took his header well for the opening goal in the second half. He won a good percentage of balls in the air, and his control taking balls down on his chest was exemplary.

So we are guaranteed to progress into the last 16 "knock out" phase of the competition with one game to go, and could yet top a group with a Premiership and two Championship Academies.

Matt Taylor could have a few selection headaches for future matches, every one who played today fully justified their inclusion, leaving players from the first team squad to fight for their places at the business end of the competition. UTC (clap)

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Weren’t the rest of the side Academy products, most of whom haven’t been near the first team, up against several full internationals with PL experience? We were comfortable winners today - against the odds on paper - and I hardly think that one loan player, short of match fitness, should be the post game focus...
Neither do I I'm just giving an opinion

As for Sunderland is it any surprise we won they could of have 1000 caps between them given how low the confidence running through that club is right now with back to back relegations a real possibility

Does Rodwell fancy Exeter away on a Sunday ? Does he ******** you can't blame him can you

Last edited:

Matt Russell

Poor Mr Rodwell, my heart bleeds. Having to travel all that way to Exeter and turn out in the cold.