• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter vs Bristol Rovers (Checkatrade)

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
As usual with this ridiculous competition all I ask is for no injuries.

Absolutely no way should Martin or Law play. If they pick up a knock we are doomed

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
As usual with this ridiculous competition all I ask is for no injuries.

Absolutely no way should Martin or Law play. If they pick up a knock we are doomed
I would go for a starting line up of:

Hamon
Oates
Dean
Oshea
Dyer
Sparks
Collins
Tillson
Keys
Abraham
Jay

Bench of:

Norman
Morrison
Dodds
Lawrence
Taylor
Stockley
Seymour

The deluder

I like that team. But hasn't't Matt said that Sparkes isn't"to up to first team standard and should stay with Chippenham (for whom he can't get a game).

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I like that team. But hasn't't Matt said that Sparkes isn't"to up to first team standard and should stay with Chippenham (for whom he can't get a game).
I think we're allowed to borrow back loanees for these competitions.

denzel

If we can bring back loaners what about Harry Kite. Seems to be doing the business for Dorch

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The draw will take place on Friday on Talksport. Details on the EFL website at https://www.efl.com/news/2018/november/checkatrade-trophy-round-two-draw/

Corey

I thought I'd have a look at our potential opponents. So far it's as clear as mud especially if we win the group - less so if we're runners-up.

If we win the tie and win the group we could face:

Group A: Portsmouth (already qualified), Tottenham or Crawley. If Tottenham beat Portsmouth it's Portsmouth, if Portsmouth win Crawley qualify if they beat Gillingham; If Portsmouth win on penalties Crawley need to beat Gillingham by 5 goals.
Group B: Er, any of all of them - Cambridge, Southend, Colchester or Southampton. All on 3 points currently.
Group C: Chelsea (qualified), Swindon or Newport. Newport have to beat Plym**th by 5 goals for it to be Chelsea, but any win will send them through and knock Swindon out.
Group E: Any of them, although unlikely to be Forest Green, who only go through if Coventry beat Cheltenham on penalties. If Cheltenham beat Coventry, scoring two or more goals, we play Arsenal, if Cheltenham beat Coventry scoring one goal or on penalties it will be Cheltenham, if Coventry win it will be Coventry.
Group F: Northampton (group already finished).
Group G: Wimbledon. No matter what the result in Charlton vs Swansea match, one of them will end up group winners and the other eliminated.
Group H: Peterborough, Brighton or MK. All on 2 points, Luton already qualified as winners.

If we're runners up, we get an away trip to:

Group A: Either Portsmouth or Tottenham, depending on their result - needs to be a Tottenham win for it to be them.
Group B: Any of them - see above.
Group C: Chelsea, unless Newport beat Plym**th by five goals.
Group E: Arsenal, unless Cheltenham beat Coventry, scoring 2+ goals.
Group F: Oxford.
Group G: Charlton if they win or draw, Swansea if they win.
Group H: Luton.
They have said on the website that it is teams from A B C D vs teams from E F G H, so no trip to Stamford bridge or Wembley for us.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
They have said on the website that it is teams from A B C D vs teams from E F G H, so no trip to Stamford bridge or Wembley for us.
Ah yes, just seen that - Arsenal it is then!

Alistair20000

Hope to see some of the youngsters in action tonight and despite the lack of general interest in this competition I am looking forward to a night in the fresh air at SJP.

andrew p long

I think we're allowed to borrow back loanees for these competitions.
My reading of the rules ( this is as ever stupidly complex) we can field players who are on loan to National League Premier and North and South. So that includes Sparkes at Chippenham. But no mention of being able to use players on loan at the levels below National League South. If that’s right then Kite and Seymour at Dorchester and Key, Randall and Smallcombe at Tiverton are not eligible to play tonight. Though I could be wrong..